How does the speedometer/odometer work on a FZ1

How does the speedometer work on a FZ1? Is it attached to the front or rear wheel or is it something else? Thanks for any info.

Like most modern bikes the FZ1 relies on an electronic speed sensor, not a cable attached to the front wheel. Not sure exactly where it gets it's reading from. Trans output shaft? If you change sprockets it will throw off the speedometer, but there are a few manufacturers out there that make devices so that the speedometer can be calibrated to read properly again.

So for changing my gear ratio I really don't have a choice but to buy a speedohealer then do I? That sucks

That is correct...unless you're an electrical engineer and can design your own :D

And by the way SpeedoDRD works just as well and it's cheaper.

My 09 was off 5 mph, after going to a 16t it was off 10. Speedohealer fixed it but, the mileage is off about 7-10 percent. For me the speed is more important buts still Pisses me off. Just my :2cents:

My 919 is the same way; the speedometer reads 7% too high but the odometer is only 1% high. This is verified by a GPS.

I wanted to get my speedo a bit closer but I wouldn't want my odometer to be off. I guess it's better to think I'm going faster than I am when Johnny Law nails me with his death rays :)

So a speedohealer doesn't fix the odometer as well?

I am an EE and although I don't know the specific circuitry used in the FZ1, I understand the basic concept of how the Odo/Speedo works. There is no engineering reason why the Odo and Speedo should not both be accurate. I can only imagine that the Yamaha engineers were directed by higher-ups to make the Odo semi-accurate (to the largest diameter, brand-new tire) and give the speedo a 5-10% error, who knows why!!?. Despite common knowlegde on this board, the Odo has a slight error also, but not nearly as much as the speedo.

A unit like the Speedo Healer only alters the "one" main signal that both the Odo and Speedo use, this is why, without going into the circuitry of the speedo itself and recalibrating it, one or the other or both, will always have an error.

Back