How early is too early?

I have a friend near Seattle WA that I would like to visit at the end of May from Georgia. I want to take about 6 days to make the trip one way avoiding Slab where ever possible. My friend says the mountain passes are bad then. Is mid-late May too early to ride out to visit them? Thanks for your input.

Late May in general is warmin up in the mountain passes. Except for dome freak weather, you may be chilly goin through the higher elevations, but the roads should be just fine.

I know Colorado will sometimes get snow in May. The weather especially in higher elevations can change very quickly. It probably depends a lot on the route you take. If you have a planned route, maybe you can post it up so people can comment based on where they live. That sounds like a fun trip.

Here's the screen snip of the first go at it. I just put avoid interstate and toll roads and a couple of places I wanted to see. Street Atlas plans the gas breaks and overnight stops for you.
5825d1302295295-how-early-too-early-snipimage.jpg

I would like to be there by May 23rd. The baby's birthday is the 24th--except i don't think she's still a baby!

I have a friend near Seattle WA that I would like to visit at the end of May from Georgia. I want to take about 6 days to make the trip one way avoiding Slab where ever possible. My friend says the mountain passes are bad then. Is mid-late May too early to ride out to visit them? Thanks for your input.

Take a laptop with you. Most hotels/motels have wifi these days. If not, they usually have a computer in the lobby for the patrons. I made a trek from Los Angeles to Sturgis and back to Los Angeles. If it wasn’t for my buddy’s laptop, we would have been pummeled with rain in Denver. And this was in August. If you have a Smart Phone, that is good as well except I can’t read the damn screen it’s so small. Plan ahead at least two days. Mother Nature rears her ugly head without notice. It’s always good to have a back up plan.
:D

That's only the first part! Hopefully. The other part is AK but it's up in the air because of stuff here. If I don't go to AK, I'm coming back home via Yosemite and the Grand Canyon spending a couple of days at each one and then slabbing (gasp!) it home.

Back