How much would you pay?

'06 FZ1 Naked

Looking to buy this bike and just want to know what a fair price would be? Don't know much of anything about these bikes. Any new buyer tips along with a guess price would be greatly appreciated!

Check out nadaguides.com or kbb.com/motorcycle as these are the retail industries standard for assessing value to the bike.

But, what I've heard from a lot of people is the bike has the value that you and the seller decide to give it. You don't want to offend them by low-balling but on the flip side you don't want to pay full retail to a private party.

Also to give you a point of reference I just got a 2009 non-molested FZ1 for 5999.00. I personally don't like buying things that have been modded by someone else. Also, I would be cautious about as it has been in a collision and there is no guarantee that everything is still in good working order for alignment and or that there is any structural weakening due to stress on teh swing arm, subframe and frame from the crash.

Last edited:
In my opinion, your average, used second gen FZ1 is worth around $4500-$5500 with reasonable mileage. Unless it's got parts & accessories that are valuable to you, you can find a nice 06+ for that price range any day of the week.

I'd probably check it out thoroughly and offer $4500

The bike is nicely modded and the it has low mileage for an '06. Hard to tell how bad the damage is from the accident w/o inspecting it in person. One thing to remember is that mods rarely add to the overall value of the bike, but might be worth something to the potential buyer if that's the direction they wanted to go with the bike anyway. All that being said I think Dustin nailed the price on this one...$4500 as it sits if all checks out.

Another amateur question.... will the Roth AIS block offs or any of the other mods listed be a red flag when getting inspected or will the inspection be in depth enough to even catch it? This will be an out of state bike so I will have to get it checked over. Thanks in advance

Up here in Minneapolis there are usually 10+ FZ1 Gen II listed on Craigslist along with the new ones from dealers. They're asking $5500 to $6500 but they're not moving. I bought my 2007 in August of 2011. The guy started out at $5500 which was reasonable but I watched it drop in price over 2 months until he was listing it for $4500 at which point I got the Go-ahead from my wife and bought it for $4400. I think $4500 for a '06 would be a starting point and go down from there. If there's none in your area expand your search. Most of these bikes are low mileage anyway. You just need one that hasn't been abused.

Cracking frame issues

If the bike was recently rear ended I would look it over very carefully. Use that to lower the price, and as a new FZ1 owner you should be aware of the early models did have cracking frame issues

you can read this one thread but do a search and read additional owners stories and see pictures of where to look and check for damage.

07 FZ1 Frame cracked!!! - FZ1OA Message Board

This could be a big one! - FZ1OA Message Board

Pictures....

another cracked frame... - FZ1OA Message Board

Rear ending a motorcycle has a pretty good potential for messing up the frame alignment, swing are and swing arm bearing, etc - and any other places on the bike where contact was made. Example - if handlebars were involved during the crash - possible front end damage and alignment troubles. There is potential for lots of troubles here.
You don't know the real reason he wants to see - but ...
It's value should be lower than a well treated bike - for good reason. Check this one carefully before buying - alignment troubles could be dangerous.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice, I think with the risk attached to it I may just look for something else. I don't want to drive 8 hours on a 50 50 chance. I'm keeping my eye out for another one.

Up here in Minneapolis there are usually 10+ FZ1 Gen II listed on Craigslist along with the new ones from dealers. They're asking $5500 to $6500 but they're not moving. I bought my 2007 in August of 2011. The guy started out at $5500 which was reasonable but I watched it drop in price over 2 months until he was listing it for $4500 at which point I got the Go-ahead from my wife and bought it for $4400. I think $4500 for a '06 would be a starting point and go down from there. If there's none in your area expand your search. Most of these bikes are low mileage anyway. You just need one that hasn't been abused.

Bikes are not like cars when it comes to value or purchase price. There is lots of market value built into the asking price of the bike. This is usually over and above the retail price quoted for your area by a online value site. Have a price range set and prepare to bicker on the price ( have your money on you , or close by). Sought after bikes don't last long and if the seller has lots of people looking at it. You might not want to wait if it is a really good deal. Low miles doesn't always mean a good deal. However, low miles will command a higher price as it is a selling point.
Winter is a good time to buy, but not to ride. The seller may not be eager to let you ride it in inclement weather. You should be ready to shop when the weather breaks... Waiting till spring is a good idea, but remember that's when everyone and their brother is looking as well, and market values increase.

Back