How to improve MPG in my 2009?

Hi all,

I am just wondering what I can do to improve my fuel mileage. I know the 2009 managed to have the lowest MPG rating of the Gen II but there has to be something to be done. If I ride her hard then it gets only around 27 MPG and if I'm nice to her it's around 33 MPG. It's still better than my car, but not as cool as my Fz6 that was consistently at 44 MPG.

How will a aftermarket exhaust such as a Two Brothers Black Series CF affect MPG?

Will doing a Juicebox Pro/PCV with a more well balanced map help with fuel mileage?

Does blocking off the AIS help improve the fuel mileage?

Does the Lars Mod increase or decrease the fuel mileage?

Will a new air filter help with fuel mileage?

Will swapping out for iridium plugs improve fuel mileage?

I have a fuel consumption gauge on one of my bikes. The things that help is lugging the motor and using as little throttle as you can to get to where you want to go. Lean mixtures tend to help.

None of this is enjoyable or worth the trouble. Most of us get around 30 if you stay off the highway. Riding on the highway helps a bunch but is very little fun when riding below 55mph to get mileage.

Andy

Hi all,

I am just wondering what I can do to improve my fuel mileage. I know the 2009 managed to have the lowest MPG rating of the Gen II but there has to be something to be done. If I ride her hard then it gets only around 27 MPG and if I'm nice to her it's around 33 MPG. It's still better than my car, but not as cool as my Fz6 that was consistently at 44 MPG.

How will a aftermarket exhaust such as a Two Brothers Black Series CF affect MPG?

Will doing a Juicebox Pro/PCV with a more well balanced map help with fuel mileage?

Does blocking off the AIS help improve the fuel mileage?

Does the Lars Mod increase or decrease the fuel mileage?

Will a new air filter help with fuel mileage?

Will swapping out for iridium plugs improve fuel mileage?

I would recommend leaving it alone for now. You've had enough trouble keeping rubber on the road with stock bikes let alone modded...

If you're getting an average of 30 mpg, you're in the ball park. There's a lot of liter (and above) machines out there that get a lot better MPG but they also don't have the performance of the FZ1. This machine is tuned for higher performance without regards for MPG. The only way to really increase the MPG is go get a liter bike that is built for touring and not for carving.

I just hope you now have some fear and respect for what this machine is capable of. As of now, the bike far exceeds your riding abilities so you've got to learn and catch up to the bike. Based on your two crashes, you need to work on your line, identifying the apex, body position and learn what counter-steer and trail-braking is as well as what gear to be in vs what entry speed for said corner.

:+2: to all that Cobalt said. Believe me I'm working on all that. The other thing that I've really been focusing on this week is head position and gaze. I'm getting to where my head is up more and I'm looking as far down the road as possible. After both of these wrecks I found my vision was getting shorter and narrower which is a setup for another crash.

Thanks for the feedback, I had run into a local bike mechanic who rides a 2002 Fz1. He said he has 80k miles on his and routinely gets 50 mpg, it made me jealous is all.

BTW guys I wasn't going to do all these mods right away, just interested in the research and finding out what people noticed, so that I could plan accordinglyfor the future. I love my bike and am not getting rid of her anytime soon.

0078:
I ride very gently and get about 40 MPG. Like Whittlebeast said, keep the RPM very low. I have found the following: 1. A slip-on made no appreciable difference in my mileage; 2. A PCM will most likely make the mileage worse. The FZ1 is quite lean, and any leaner mixture will lead to surging and poor throttle response. 3. I expect the AIS would make no difference. 4. For easy riding, to get MPG, the stock air box is not restricting air flow. 5. There might be a tiny bit of improvement with a K&N air filter, however the price would take a llooooonnggg time to pay back. 6. I doubt irridium plugs would help. Ditto on the payback. 7. I tried some very high gears on my bike, using a smaller rear sprocket. For straight highway cruising, it improved the mileage from 40 to about 44 MPG, depending on speed. But in town with the high gearing, mileage got worse, due to the greater torque needed to accelerate the bike. Plus it kills the "fun factor" for the motorcycle. I think it is safe to say that any equipment mod will cost far more than the MPG benefit realized.

I am still puzzeled as to why the Gen I bikes can do better with carburetion than the Gen II with fuel injection. The camshaft duration, compression ratio, gearing, weight, etc. are extremely close to the same.

The best method is to go very gently on the throttle. Keep the RPM down below 3,500. Accelerate slowly. Be shifted into 6th gear by about 40 MPH. Let off the gas as early as possible when approaching a stop. The MPG is the only thing about the FZ1 that is at all disappointing to me. But the performance is superb and that is what the bike was designed for, which it does very well.

Yeah. I say ride slow also for MPGs. I got 47 once by just following the speed limit and shifting at 3k rpms. The worst Ive gotten has been in the mid 30s. I ussualy get upper 30s just riding normal with an occasional twist of the throttle.

I have a 2009 with a two bro black and i get around 40mpg highest 47 lowest 27.i live in a really hilly area and do alot of coasting with clucth in downhill and coming to a stop shifting at low rpms and running right air pressure also helps in my opinion the pipe might have helped a little but hearing that sweet sound only made me twist the throttle more than neccesary

ride safe
Lonney

Lowest I've seen yet is 31. I tend to ride WFO to speed and quite often then some on the speed. I got 47 one time last summer on a fall color tour. I tend average 33ish. I would bet if you rode reasonable pretty consistently you could average 36-38 or better, but who buys a litre bike for fuel mileage anyway.

Im happy with 30's anyway its double what the Cummins gets.

Lowest I've seen yet is 31. I tend to ride WFO to speed and quite often then some on the speed. I got 47 one time last summer on a fall color tour. I tend average 33ish. I would bet if you rode reasonable pretty consistently you could average 36-38 or better, but who buys a litre bike for fuel mileage anyway.

Im happy with 30's anyway its double what the Cummins gets.

In reading up on reviews of the Fz1 it seems that for some reason the 2009 Fz1 posted the worst fuel mileage of all of them.

The Gen I fuel mileage is the best with many people averaging in the 40s. The Gen II 2006-2008 averaged in the mid to upper 30s and the 2009 dropped to the high 20s.

I've been trying to be more concious of my rpms and keeping them down but seriously it's not as much fun without that little flick of the wrist in the right rpm range. I try not to exceed 6000 rpm as that I notice when letting off the throttle that I get a lot of AIS popping which means the fuel system is being wasteful.

Keep in mind that if you compare your mileage to someone else that has a different gear ratio, the numbers will be different. You really need to check GPS/true mile divided by gallons used, but almost nobody does that.

Andy

+1 on the guys that say you have the wrong bike if your concerned with fuel mileage!
I got my 2010 a few months ago, and the first fill up was a shock to say the least! I rode it like my old '98 R1, and got about 33mpg out of it:cuss: I commute 40 miles daily on mine, and have learned to ride it so I can have fun, and get some mileage out of it. I got 47mpg(uk) once after riding like a nun for a tankfull, but that was the most boring ride of my life staying below 55mph, and sub 4k revs.

I average about 40-41mpg(uk) now, and I'm happy with that. If you 'need' the fuel mileage, get yourself an early Fazer 600, they do 55-65mpg, or a BMW gs650, they're told to do up to 70mpg(uk) as a second bike.
I got a Fazer 600 for the ride to work, and love it for commuting, the FZ1 is for playing:evillaugh:

Back