I am just so "frugal", anyone mind sharing their TB sync tool?

bavarianmw

Hi guys, totally begging here... I just cant see dropping the $80+ for this.

Anyone have a carb sync tool I could borrow? I am in the Morristown / Somerset area, and could meet you (or pay shipping back and forth if too far to meet.

I read the how to's on building your own, I just would rather use a designated tool for it. I know, I know, just go buy one....

Love you guys. --MW

Well, I have a lumpy idle on my 2012, and I never messed with the TB's. It's been there since new, and it's worse after the slip on install. The TB Sync seems to be the first line of attack for this, based on my research and recommendations on this forum.

"No possible way" seems a bit absolute, don't ya think? --MW

It can be out of sync, yes. After the slip-on, did you plug the AIS? What other mods have been done? Set the idle for 1250 - 1350 and see if it smoothes out. Too low and even a sync'd machine will be lumpy. ;)

It can be out of sync, yes. After the slip-on, did you plug the AIS? What other mods have been done? Set the idle for 1250 - 1350 and see if it smoothes out. Too low and even a sync'd machine will be lumpy. ;)

Am I on the right thought process here? I just put on a slip-on, did not do the AIS blockoff (links, if you know where they are), and I'm needing to do a throttle body sync because around 4000 rpm I get surging that is getting really annoying.

I was planning on doing a TB sync but should I do the AIS block first (I don't mind the popping).

Also, if you were closer BavarianMW I would totally let you use by Carbtune.

Thanks for the reply, and for your TB sync thread. I am definitely planning on using your steps to do the job.

I mostly I have appearance and lighting mods. The motor is almost bone stock, but for the two bros black slip on and the removed EXUP. The AIS is in place. My idle is set too high, if anything, like 1400. It seems to make the idle more steady this way. The idle fluctuates worse in really humid weather too, I think.

I plan to "Ivan" the bike this off season, so I want my baby running tip-top before that! Thanks again! --MW

The surging around 4k might be a lean-running bike. But, both mine and my wife's FZ1, when we only applied a slip-on, AIS removal and aftermarket air filter, both had the same surging... it is minor, but noticeable and can be annoying. Michele thought it was normal as she's got nothing to compare it to... my bike is was to tall for her to ride.

My issue ended up being the SpeedoDRD. If I set it for -6.9%, the bike surges, skips and bucks in the mid-range. If I set it for -5.2%, it is smooth. The computer did not like that specific frequency of correction.

The AIS will likely not change the condition as it only has an effect on exhaust gases. With it the exhaust is cleaner because the excess fuel is burnt in the system (hence the popping and gurgling) so when you remove the air, the excess gas is sent through without burning. If the pipes are hot enough, some will still ignite and you do get popping still.

Proper fuel mapping is the best way to solve the issue. Start thinking about a Power Commander and if you're going to get Ivan's flash, he sells them and it will come pre-loaded with his map created for the flash. You get the whole package in one purchase.

Thus far, with the flash and Ivan's map (with the TPS set at 0.640) I have zero surging, zero popping and 100% linear throttle in all gears. The bike is VERY predictable now without the jerkiness and throttle snatch. This is how the bike should have performed from the factory.

Hi guys, totally begging here... I just cant see dropping the $80+ for this.

Anyone have a carb sync tool I could borrow? I am in the Morristown / Somerset area, and could meet you (or pay shipping back and forth if too far to meet.

I read the how to's on building your own, I just would rather use a designated tool for it. I know, I know, just go buy one....

Love you guys. --MW

You're less than an hour from Ivan. We all should be that lucky. I'm driving 4+ hours Wednesday to have Ivan work on my bike.

Last edited:
You're less than an hour from Ivan. We all should be that lucky. I'm drivig 4+ hours Wednesday to have Ivan work on my bike.

Eh, it is more than an hour. Especially since I am sure that there would be much traffic heading towards "The City".... And I like to keep my riding in the "Garden" part of the State.

But, anyway, I still want to be able to sync my TB's now. My plans for "Ivaning" the bike are in the off-season! Anyone?! --MW

Here is a short video I took of my bike idling after an oil change over to synth. There is a little surprise at the end when I burned my leg on the exhaust lol.

Fz1 idle.mp4 - YouTube

Do you guys think I should spend the money on the sync tool? Do you think it will help, or am I being too picky and I should just leave it alone? --MW

I think it is always worth the effort to at least attach the tool and see where you stand with your sync. Of course, once at that point, it is easy to just adjust as needed.

I might be willing to lend you mine. I will be using it this weekend to hopefully create the entire DIY thread with maybe a video included. Also may be doing another member's sync on Sunday as he might be headed to my house. Might get a little video then as well.

-Eric

I think it is always worth the effort to at least attach the tool and see where you stand with your sync. Of course, once at that point, it is easy to just adjust as needed.

I might be willing to lend you mine. I will be using it this weekend to hopefully create the entire DIY thread with maybe a video included. Also may be doing another member's sync on Sunday as he might be headed to my house. Might get a little video then as well.

-Eric

Yes, good call. I am the kind of person that will just feel better knowing that my TB sync is dead on. I suppose I will do the TPS at the same time. This adjustment did wonders for the driveability of my sv650.

The video you are planning to make will be great for the community, I smell a sticky! I will watch it at least a few times and probably during my sync. Thank you for this.

I'll PM you my phone number after the weekend. Maybe we can talk more about this in real life. Thanks again. --MW

Back