I hit the pavement for the first time

motoman250f

Well I hoped it would never happen but it did. I hit the pavement but for the sake of my pride I can say I didn't crash, I was crashed into. It happened about 2 weeks ago I wanted to wait until everything with insurance was straightened out. I got rear ended by another motorcycle when I was turning into a parking lot. Both bikes went down pretty hard I was almost stopped when I was hit but my bike still managed to slide about 20 feet over a storm drain and a curb into the parking lot and I managed to slide for awhile as well. Neither rider got hurt with the exception of some slight road rash. My gear did its job for the most part, reminds me why I always ride with all my gear. Unfortunately both bikes were totalled. The other bike had a cracked frame from the crash and the insurance company racked up so much cosmetic damage to mine that it was totalled as well (although from the pictures it doesnt look like it would be). It probably would have been totalled without the cosmetic damage because with the force of the impact I would have to imagine that there had to have been something structurally damaged. I have a picture of when i first got her, after all the work I did, and then after the crash

I dont like to sit and do nothing, so as soon as I was told it was totalled I started the bike search, test rode a ninja 1000 twice and tried to make a deal but for some reason insurance was WAY more than I pay for the fz1, even though the dealership was willing to deal I had to walk away, I am not gonna pay $3,000-$5,000 a year for insurance (my age certainly doesnt help). I managed to find a leftover 2007 fz1 in cobalt blue with no miles about 4 hours away, I picked that up yesterday and I plan on modding it similar to how it was before, I have allot of work to do haha

I'm glad all humans came out fairly well. I'm very sorry to hear about your bike. I hate seeing a bike totaled for cosmetic damage alone. Sorry the Ninja 1000 didn't work out. I've always though I'd give one a try if I had to get rid of the FZ1.

Now you have the better gold forks ;) I'm sure you will have fun modding again. I hope you can use some of the undamaged mods from the '09 for the '07. I don't like the way that slider bent over. I know even a proper slider wouldn't have saved all damage, but it looks like that one may have been worse than none. I could have messed up the frame or engine where it bolts in. I'd be curious to know. I've heard the T-Rex work well. I have them, but I've never used them *cross fingers*.

I got the sliders off ebay when I get home ill check receipts to see who makes them I had to use ones for an r1 since I had the lower fairing kit they seemed like good quality I don't think any slider would have survived sliding over a storm drain and then over a curb though.

It was nice meeting you too John once the bike is broken in we gotta meet up for a ride, and the guy who rear ended me was a friend I have known all my life, it was an unfortunate situation but there are no hard feelings accidents happen the important thing is we both walked away from it

Sorry to hear about your crash:frown: . I feel your pain though as I actually hit the pavement today at the track :mad: I was coming into a turn after a long straight. I saw a bike that had went off the track and crashed on the turn so I slowed down. I entered the turn and reduced speed when all of a sudden my bike flew out from under me and I was sliding on the pavement:mad: (luckilly I had brought her down to about 60mph from 130mph when this occured). After I came to a stop and said "what the f--k just happened I saw a wet spot on the track. I got up and walked over to it and almost fell on my ass just walking on it, it was oil and lots of it, now I know exactly what happened. Some motherf--ker on a jalopy bike leaked out his whole crankcase full of oil onto the turn. The guy who had crashed before me hit the oil as well and it made him crash. He was on his feet cussing up a storm at the corner workers.

Now my whole front fairing is destroyed, my rear sets are trashed, and my bike which was in great shape is scratched to hell. The frame sliders got ripped off but they did do their job, as the engine is intact and still runs with no leaks. The handlebars got twisted in their mounts but I think/hope the frame and forks are straight. On top of that my riding gear is destroyed and I had to go to the hospital for road rash :mad: If I ever find the motherf--ker who leaked out his entire crankcase on the track he is a dead man (this is not an exaggeration)...

@motoman: sorry to hear about your off. Luckily you escaped un injured. Good luck ont the next project.

@Hillm250: I too flew off my Gixxer last Sunday highsider. the bike is pretty ok but my foot did not leave the scene unharmed, as it hit quite hard the tarmac.

Sh**t happens but I rather crash on the track than on street.

Me Too

I hit the pavement for the first time on friday. again it is a great thing that it was not my fault but being cut off and hit by another careless driver is never fun. It was a hit and run and now just found out that my insurance will not cover because they fled the scene. so now i'm stuck with a bike the has a cracked upper cowell and dent and paint damage on the tank. does anyone know where i can get a replacement cowell black and yellow like mine. i really want my bike to look pristine again. thank you.

Sincerily,
A Rider in Distress

I hit the pavement for the first time on friday. again it is a great thing that it was not my fault but being cut off and hit by another careless driver is never fun. It was a hit and run and now just found out that my insurance will not cover because they fled the scene. so now i'm stuck with a bike the has a cracked upper cowell and dent and paint damage on the tank. does anyone know where i can get a replacement cowell black and yellow like mine. i really want my bike to look pristine again. thank you.

Sincerily,
A Rider in Distress

Try posting your want here... Bikes/Parts wanted - Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum

I'd first like to say that I'm glad the humans came out ok in this unplanned altercation.

Next I'll say an old fella once told me there were two kinds of riders...

Those who HAVE crashed..
and
Those who WILL.

Not long after that I became one of the latter. I also raced AMACCS so the crash thing happened a few more times. Like you said, it just reinforces the reasons that we wear ATGAT. After all, we don't dress for the ride...we dress for the crash. I'm just happy to change gear when it's worn out, not worn through.

Good luck with your new ride. I hope you are able to be as happy with it as you were your previous ride.

Bummer. Going down sucks big time. I haven't dropped the fz yet but my monster went down a couple times.

I got lucky and nothing got damaged on mine. Sorry to hear about yours that was a sweet looking bike.

Back