I smoked a Harley

Skydancer

Yesterday I decided to take the FZ1 out for spin, and get some lunch in Madrid, New Mexico, it’s a biker hangout, and the town they shot the movie “Wild Hogs” in. Lots of nice scenic curvy roads. It’s part of the Turquoise Trail scenic highway that goes down from Colorado into Albuquerque. Leaving Santa Fe the road is pretty straight.
I was at a light, when a guy on an older Harley Road Glide turned onto the highway. The light was kinda long, so as I started moving the guy on the Harley was pretty far a head of me, but eventually after a couple minutes I caught up to him, and was in back of him.

There was a truck in front of us, and as soon as there was a clearing the Harley dude started to pass the truck , and I followed right behind him. He was hauling ass, he pulled over after he got passed the truck, but I passed him. I had noise canceling AirPod pros in and a loud dose of AC/DC going, so I didn’t hear the engine rev’s, next thing I knew I was going 120 mph and left him in the dust. I got the distinct feeling he didn’t like that.

After passing him I slowed down a little as we were coming into the curves, he was right on my ass! Ha! He must have been going at least a 100 mph to catch up to me. I know cause I have a Harley 2020 Heritage and the tuner doesn’t allow it to go over 110 mph.

As soon as he got close, I got on the throttle and smoked him in the curves. I think he was kind a pissed again. I slowed down, to about 45 mph as we were going through a little town called Cerrillios and let him catch up and he was riding my ass like he was gonna pass me.

I hit it again through some twisties and lost him in the dust. He finally caught up with me as we were coming into Madrid with a 20 mph speed limit.

I’m thinking is this guy serious thinking his old Road Glide could compete with an FZ1 ? I turned into the mineshaft tavern and he passed me by.

I must admit, that little game of cat and mouse was fun! I got some strange sort of satisfaction and delight out of it, partly because I have a couple of Harleys and I know their limitations, and the state of mind this dude was in, thinking he could compete with a 160 horsepower FZ1.

BC57C9F9-7967-4B8D-8199-CCB4FBCB981C.jpeg52B62116-CF09-4B06-9E98-B99BC7D948CC.jpeg2EB14AEC-A531-444B-BE55-79C4E3D5CB6E.jpeg3007EC0B-2EFB-475E-9FBE-45901D916946.jpeg964EEE2B-24D1-4047-B702-D1F3E1D9157C.jpegC6F835BD-D953-44B1-A025-347D885027B7.jpegThis is the reason I bought the FZ1, to have a little fun!1367EBB9-6C5F-422B-A512-2B096A232068.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun time.

So Kinda curious, does not being on one of your Harly’s feel kinda weird when cruising through those biker hangouts?

Sounds like a fun time.

So Kinda curious, does not being on one of your Harly’s feel kinda weird when cruising through those biker hangouts?

Ha! Yea, I like it. Some of the Harley guys don’t wave at me anymore. Lol! There are quite a few sport bikes, and BMW’s on the roads out here, so it’s all mixed up. They don’t know what to make of me, I wear my Jacket covered in Harley patches ridin an FZ1. Almost all the guys working at the Harley dealership here have sport bikes. In fact I just got back from Harley and as I was pulling in on the FZ1 two other guy were pulling out, one guy had a Yellow FZ1, not sure what the other bike was m, maybe an FZ1 too.

Back