I want ABS!!

I want ABS!! Does anyone have any knowledge of a future US version fz1 with ABS? I know everyone has their opinion of ABS, but being that I commute to and from work (20 miles, round trip, all freeway, including morning and afternoon rush hour traffic) in pretty much any weather, ABS is definitely a necessity. I'm coming over BMW, having owned an f800st, ABS has definitely saved my ass in the past.

Any news on '10 models? Why can't we get the euro spec'd fz1 :cry::cry:

I would think that easiest way to win, w/o hopping an ocean and transport back, would to be head up North (eh) of the border if you are inclined to obtain ABS and it not be an aftermarket accessory.

I'd like to ride a bike with ABS at least once just to see how it feels. I had a 150cc scooter with "Mechanical ABS", which was nothing more than a resevoiur with a check ball valve. Pretty crude but it did the job.

I would think that easiest way to win, w/o hopping an ocean and transport back, would to be head up North (eh) of the border if you are inclined to obtain ABS and it not be an aftermarket accessory.

I think I might have to do so. Since I started commuting on my bike, I can't stand driving my car - I hate even shooting down the block in it to the store! Unfortunately, California has some of the WORST drivers in the world. Blind intersections, underage drivers yapping/texting on their cell phones (yes, it's illegal and yes they keep doing so), etc etc. I can't tell you guys how many times ABS has saved my rear.

Do you guys suggest I wait for the '10 model?

That all depends, are you bikeless now?

Not sure with some of the European problems, but in the states other than a few problems in '06, with frames/fueling, I have read that the only changes have been color schemes.

I have not seen anything to say that '10 models are going to be any different, but then I have not looked all that hard for I'm not in the market...

Adam

Well if Yamaha is on a 5 year cycle with the Gen II like they were with the Gen I then don't expect any changes for '10 other than colors.

I'll assume that you have ridden both Non-ABS and ABS bikes, so what do you think about the differences in the two?

I'd have to say that I am happy as HELL to have ABS, I have ridden non-ABS and it is terrifying to have the brakes lock up and almost flip a bike. With the ABS I couldnt count the number of times I should have probably been injured. Atlanta is not full of aware drivers.:jaw drop:

what was the price out the door -- or was it an aftermarket setup that the previous owner installed??

I got it for 9 grand out the door, I was able to talk the dealership down a LOT from the initial 12 they wanted for it. I'd have to say it was a good day for me. Sure he didnt want to go with that price but I wouldnt budge it helped to point out it was an 07 and 3 years old.:box:

ditto.

I understand the merits of ABS... but I also understand that it's not at all needed... We, as motorcyclists, have been doing without ABS for many many years... ABS is (no offense) just one more thing taking the skill out of motorcycle riding. ... While I'm sure this will rub some people the wrong way... I'm going to go ahead and say that if you NEED ABS to ride.... you probably shouldn't be riding. Leave yourself plenty of buffer space, practice emergency braking. It's a skill just like anything else involved riding a motorcycle.

Personally, I have no desire to ride a bike with ABS, I've done it in the past, and I didn't like the feel. When I ride, I control the brakes. I don't need a computer to do that. Traction control? Don't want it. Don't need it.

I think ABS is well suited for motorcycles. That said, I can take it or leave it.
I believe motorcyclists should be well acquainted with emergency braking techniques: the feel of the bike when it starts to slide, rear and front brake application percentages-etc. I practice this stuff. When the roads are wet, I purposely lock up the rear brake to have a sense of when my tires will lose traction-it's just normal procedure for me. Never-the-less, a well functioning ABS system makes sense.
My car has a feature I like: If I brake fast and hard-as when I've lost all hope-it takes over braking; stopping the car as quickly, and efficiently as physically possible. Now, if this sensor triggers the take over too soon, it would be a nuisance, but as it's well done, I like it.

Last edited:
Back