importing fz1 from u.s.

Anyone have any expereince with customs, delaerships fees etc. Keep finding smoking deals on US bikes and may buy and bring one into canada.

Any advice appreciated

I imported my fz1 from the us this spring and saved a ton. I did not use any dealer or broker to help, just followed the instructions on the RVI website. Very easy. Will do it again this summer for my wife's bike.

Anyone have any expereince with customs, delaerships fees etc. Keep finding smoking deals on US bikes and may buy and bring one into canada.

Any advice appreciated

Aside from the above post, do a search, there a guy here that did this about 2 months ago and did an extensive write up of pitfalls he had, during crossing the border, paperwork required etc. Try to find it and do what he didn't do up front and your experience "SHOULD" go smoothly

Aside from the above post, do a search, there a guy here that did this about 2 months ago and did an extensive write up of pitfalls he had, during crossing the border, paperwork required etc. Try to find it and do what he didn't do up front and your experience "SHOULD" go smoothly

Ask Eric, he re posted that from the sister FZ6 site not long ago. Or go over there and do a search.

Just found this post and although its a bit dated, thought I would share my recent experience.

I spent about 2 months looking for the right bike in both Canada and the US. I missed out on a few good deals that were pretty close to home as I was very nervous buying private.

I then found an 08 with 450 miles in South Carolina. The bike is stock, but absolutley mint. Had been bought back by the dealer who sold it from original owner so it made the purchase very easy.

I checked with both sides of the border and found that if I wanted to cross at Niagara Falls, I had to use the Lewiston bridge. US Border and Protection Services require 3 days notice to export vehicles out of the States. I faxed them a bill of sale, title and lien release. They called back and told me everything was good and gave me the date and time of the earliest export of the vehicle. It worked out perfect for me as it was 3 days earlier than I planned to bring it across. Their hours for vehicle export is M-F 8am-4pm, so I planned for that too.

So, 28 hours of driving and I return to the border with my new ride in the back of my pick-up. US side took about 10 minutes. They looked at the VIN and stamped the title. Onto Canadian side. Fill out the RIV (Registration of Imported Vehicles) form, paid one of the taxes and I was out of there in 20 minutes. They didn't even look at the bike. Then once home, have to pay the RIV fee ($220) over the internet and they send a form for the vehicle to be inspected. Canadian Tire has the contract for vehicle inspections, so once the form arrives, I go there and they ensure it conforms to Canadian standards. Its really just another Can. government cash grab. They also require a recall clearance letter from the manufacturer. Yamaha Canada sent me that same day as I called so they have been awesome too.

Was it worth it? Well, the cheapest I could find a clean, low mileage 07-10 model was around 10k in my area.

Paid $5300. Dealer also ordered in some gear for me and I saved about $400 as compared to buying it where I live.

Although it took me a few days to recover from the lack of sleep and sore back from sitting in truck so long, I would do it again if the right deal came up. I went down and back in 2 days so most of that is my fault. Next time, I will make a trip out of it and spend some time in the southern States because I do love it there.

Last edited:
YamIan thanks for posting about your experience. Definitely sounds like it's worth it for you Canadians to come down here and grab some bargains in the US :D

That sounds like you saved a TON, and deff worth the driving.

I know if I was in your shoes I would have done the same thing to save what, like 3500 off sticker after gas and food and all the other taxes etc.

Hi,
I actually purchased a 2002 FZ1 onthe 10 of the month down in Oregon, it is blue with 18K on . did my research crossed at Sumac British Columbia -
had a bill of sale and Title for American customs and filled out the form one at Huntington. Paid the hst. at the border and the RVI fee on line. For a motorcycle the federal inspection is very simple and then on to your local insurance agent. this unit was reasonably priced on the other side of the border.

Back