Infamous 07' fz1 frame crack!

So I was out on a ride yesterday and during a pit stop was looking over my bike and noticed there's a hairline crack on a weld in my frame just above the motor on the right side. I've only put about a thousand miles on the bike (about 17k on odo) and hadn't seen it before. I've seen other threads that have mentioned it happening and in some cases have been able to get Yamaha to replace the frame. Anyone out there that has had this happen able to give me some helpful info on who to call or where I should go to get started on finding out if they'll take care of me or if I'm going to be SOL. I know that I could get the weld ground off and have a new bead laid down but with the location of the crack, the motor will have to be removed so I'm sure that's going to get expensive. Anyone with experience here able to help me out?

Geeeeeeeez, that sucks. Definitely go to your local Yamaha dealer and have photos taken and the VIN recorded and see if they'll start some kind of warranty process.

It's a bit of a process but Yamaha usually takes care of it. I believe you need to contact Yamaha Corporate and start to document everything. Be prepared to be without the bike for a couple of weeks once the dealer gets it. At least you'll have a brand new frame with no more worries about cracks.

Thanks guys, I really hope they do. I've been burned by big companies before so I'm hoping that yamaha keeps my business.
I've got the customer relations number from the local dealer so will have to call on Monday.

Please keep us informed and if you could, document the numbers and people you spoke to here to help any others that find themselves in this unfortunate situation. I hope they replace this without hassle!

Well, you can also consider buying a frame and doing the work yourself? It would (to me) be a cool project because I like to wrench. If you look at Partshark, all the older years list a frame replacement number which is the frame for the 2012+ years. Here's their price. Also, if Yamaha does nothing and you have full coverage insurance, try that avenue and see if they can do anything at all. Worst case is they say No.

attachment.php

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 1,013
Back