Installation of Integrated Tail Light

installed!

Thanks for the step by step hail! Btw, not sure if it was mentioned yet or not for a solution to the ebay lights not having the rubber on the top and bottom of lens like the OEM. What I did instead of weather stripping was 3m spray adhesived fun foam in black cut out to match oem pattern. One layer on the bottom of the light was necessary and the only side required as I figured out after doing both. If you don't do the bottom the plastic body panel has the potential to rattle against te taillight lens. Just a thought :tup:

so I installed my LED tail light today, thanks for all the info on this thread on removing the tail assembly, made quick work. The unit was plug and play, at least for the brakes... I have a fender eliminator with LED turn signals coming next week

I see that CrazyBiker was able to have the tail lamp T/S and separate turn signals,

FZ1 Turn Signal Brake Light - YouTube

how'd you wire those in? just cut, solder and seal?

thanks

N

so I installed my LED tail light today, thanks for all the info on this thread on removing the tail assembly, made quick work. The unit was plug and play, at least for the brakes... I have a fender eliminator with LED turn signals coming next week

I see that CrazyBiker was able to have the tail lamp T/S and separate turn signals,

FZ1 Turn Signal Brake Light - YouTube

how'd you wire those in? just cut, solder and seal?

thanks

N
Yep! I have since switched the Proton Signals front and back and disconnected the signal brake function.

cut, twisted, soldered, and sealed

the OEM turn lamps are now working with the integrated LED tail light signals, too.

next week will be the fender eliminator and LED turn lamps front and back

Now to go riding in this wonderful fall weather!

N

I wanted to show you all a quick video about how easily this connects first. ....well.... at least the wiring of the brake light. The turn signals will require some cutting and soldering. For now you can see what a great job they did on the plug and play brake light.

[ame="[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTckCWx5YrE"]YouTube[/URL] - Mock up of Integrated Tail Light on FZ1[/ame]

Installation:

The rear lens is housed in the tail section. The following shows the bolts (circled in red) from the top view that need to be removed in order to remove the tail section of the bike.
4758d1292093570-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo1.jpg

This shows the under side of the tail. You need to remove each grommet (6 total) by pressing in the center. You do not need to remove the two grommets under the battery area. Just the 6 that connect it to the tail section. Once pressed in you can easily remove the entire grommet. There is no need to remove the under tail panel, just the grommets that connect it to the upper tail section.
4759d1292093570-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo2.jpg

Don't forget to disconnect the rear brake light. It is the only thing holding everything together at this point. Just twist counter clockwise and pull out.
4760d1292093570-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo3.jpg

Here is a shot with the entire tail section removed. It is dirty and I am taking the oportunity to clean up a bit. :thumb:
4761d1292093570-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo4.jpg

And the tail section on the ground. ;) This is where the OE lens is that we need to remove to install the new integrated kit.
4762d1292093570-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo5.jpg

The bolts circled in the two photos below need to be removed in order to get the rear brake lens out. The second photo is just a slightly different angle showing the bolts that hold the rear lens cover in place. The three at the rear are the only ones holding in the lens. The two on the side keep the trim piece in place that goes over the lens.
4763d1292093614-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo6.jpg

4764d1292093614-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo7.jpg

The molding that covers the lens can now be removed. It simply rocks back and off.
4765d1292093614-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo8.jpg

Install the new lens and replace the bolts that you removed in the previous step. We now have the new lens installed in the tails section.
4766d1292093614-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo9.jpg

4767d1292093614-installation-integrated-tail-light-photo10.jpg
Could you post the pictures again?

Back