Instrument / Terminal Gauge Pins for R1 Gauge

Port8080

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm attempting the r1 gauge swap on my gen 1. I have searched the threads on completing this but I've run into difficulty "popping out" the pins to rearrange the wires for the cockpit. Is there a special tool that is needed?

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm attempting the r1 gauge swap on my gen 1. I have searched the threads on completing this but I've run into difficulty "popping out" the pins to rearrange the wires for the cockpit. Is there a special tool that is needed?

Although I am sure there is a special tool, I have used the tiny hobby screw driver to pop (release) the little metal tabs inside the plastic housing. The same kind of screw driver that you use to tighten the tiny screws on glasses.

Thanks for the info, I'll try this tonight. I'm sure I can find a hobby screw somewhere around here. I'm glad I had the foresight to purchase another used front harness because I popped one of the wires out in an attempt to remove it properly from the terminal.

Thanks for the info, I'll try this tonight. I'm sure I can find a hobby screw somewhere around here. I'm glad I had the foresight to purchase another used front harness because I popped one of the wires out in an attempt to remove it properly from the terminal.

They are a click in that usually uses a small metal tab to "click" into place inside the plastic housing. If you know or can see which way it faces just push the tiny flat screw driver it to unlock the pin and the wire should just pull out easily. I am not familiar with the R1 specifically, but most manufactures use a similar type in multi pin plugs.

Last edited:
Update: I got the pins out finally. As you said, you can press a tab down to release them one by one. I felt like such a caveman trying to force them out by brute force, smh. Thank you again.

Back