ISO Black Gen I upper front fairing/cowling

Hi everyone! Recently some jerk backed into my bike in the parking lot while I was at work, tipping it over (thankfully, they left their insurance information). My front fairing is pretty busted up, and I am having a BEAR of a time trying to find a way to deal with this. Does anybody have any recommendations? Here's what I've got so far:

1.) Scour the internet for a replacement: All online Yamaha dealerships show that the part will be "shipped in 3-4 days". After contacting the sites directly, I've learned that the part is no longer being manufactured by Yamaha (learned this the hard way too by ordering it from Partzilla and kept getting emails every 2 weeks saying that there was another 2-4 week delay in shipping my part because they haven't heard back from Yamaha).
2.) Try to repair my fairing (it's only cracked, so theoretically this is possible?): I don't have a background in this kind of work, so I'm concerned I'll waste a ton of time and end up with crappy work anyway. Thoughts on this?
3.) Try to find the same part, but in a different color, and have it painted: (Do I try to paint it myself? Do I send it off to be painted by somebody? Any ideas how to find someone who can do a good job?)
4.) Mod the shit out of the front end of the bike and just go with a different front style: (What types of parts are compatible? How to I figure this out?)

Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I've recently replaced my breaks, break lines, clutch, plugs, etc. etc. and the bike runs AWESOME.... It's just got this stupid cosmetic damage which is really bumming me out.

Do you have any photos of the fairing, that will determine how fixable it is.

I have repaired bike plastics in the past with drilled holes and zip ties - this creates a Frankenstein looking scar on the plastic.

I have heard of guys melting the plastic from the back as well to "weld" it together.

Hey did you ever get an answer on number 4 to your post? Been looking to do that on the GEN1 but there is not a whole lot out there.
Considering he never replied to my post I am guessing he posted this and then walked away from this site.

That said there are a number of examples of people taking the Gen 1 and going from a Fairing to a Naked look. There are the FZ1N headlights from Europe and Australia, or some just rig up a basic round or square LED headlamp on generic brackets up front.

I doubt you will find much in the after market, but I honestly have not dug around much for replacement fairings or fairing options.

Yamaha is stocking most color front fairings again. About $200 at Partshark which seems reasonable compared to tail cowlings which are about $400.

It's the headlight and fairing stay that add to the misery.

Back