Issue with retrofit

harrisch

Hey guys,

A while back i had a retrofit done by Rabbitman109 on the forums - i tried private messaging him but i dont know if hes off the forum or what but the message wouldnt go through.

Anyway...

Ive been having an issue with my HID retrofit.

I know he used a kit from the retrofit source - everything had been working flawlessly until this past weekend where i noticed that the light no longer fires. I had an issue with this once before where i just had to replace a relay so i figured that would be the problem, however once i put a new relay in, when i push the starter, the bike starts and immediately cuts out then starts and immediately cuts out, over and over again as i hold the starter button. while this is happening the headlight bulb flickers but never ignites.... if i remove the relay, the bike starts fine but theres no headlight obviously.

Does anyone know what the issue could be here? Seeing as the bulb seems to flicker im assuming that the bulb must be fine.... and the relay i replaced and that didnt fix the problem - so im thinking that this just leaves the igniter? and that must have gone bad?

any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

also random side note - does anyone know the screw specs for the screw that goes in the center of the top cover of the airbox (the screw infront of where the air sensor plugs into the top of the box)

Thanks in advance for any input :)

A flickering HID globe is not a good indication of a working one. I would look at replacing the globe next.

i should kept some sort of notes regarding the exact build haha, ill pull the bulb and replaced that next. I talked to the retrofit source guys and they said to try plug the relay in while the bike is already running to investigate the wiring.... im gonna give that a shot, i wish the days were longer (no garage otherwise id do it tonight) haha

If it is a known-good relay then I'd check wiring (did something chafe and wear through/short)? Since the bike runs with the relay undone, it would be wiring going from the relay to the ballast or bulb. Bulb would be the next culprit and if that doesn't fix is, it might be the more expensive piece... the ballast.

If it is a known-good relay then I'd check wiring (did something chafe and wear through/short)? Since the bike runs with the relay undone, it would be wiring going from the relay to the ballast or bulb. Bulb would be the next culprit and if that doesn't fix is, it might be the more expensive piece... the ballast.
Sounds like the ballast is shorted or the bulb is bad. Seems like its pulling too much current and you lose the ignition (or the ECU). Strange that it would not blow a fuse though.
I would try replacing the bulb first (cheaper, and eventually you would have to replace it anyway, so even if that's not the problem, you will have a spare), then the ballast. Its unlikely to be a wiring problem unless the upgrade was botched.

sent from my Moto-X on Tapatalk

I had something like that on my FZ09 happening to me. End up being a shaved wire that was grounding on the frame. The harness got cough the triple tree and steering stop.

Might not be it but its a cheap thing to do. I just use tape over the harness and made sure the loom was out of the way.

Chad got out of business a while back.

Oh, I was told that Extremely High voltage come out of those... make sure you don't get fried! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Back