Italy 2017

My 2017 motorbike travel plans are booked. Trip from Bari South Italy all the way up north to Milan Italy, 10 day trip....looking forward to it

Sounds like a fun trip. I'll be in Italy also for my third time in the Venneto region in 2017. Beautiful country, lovely people and great food.

My trip is booked through Edelweiss Tours and it's the High Alpine Tour in July. Five countries in 6 days (8 total) and I get to use my German if I can remember it.

rough itinerary:

Day1: Arriving at Bari where our bikes are waiitng for us. We go via Via de Trulli of Alborebello and sassi van Matera to Picerno.
Day2: From Picerna via Pasteum, Pompei to destination Caserta.
Day3: From Caserta via various national parks to Middle-Italië, de Abruzzen, L’Aquila
Day4: We leave l’Aquila and via lots of mountain roads towards Assisi
Day5: From Assisi via Lago di Bolsena to Siena.
Day6: restday with two route options: direction Volterra – Elba or Pienza – Montepulciano
Day7: From Siena we drive towards Firenze, stopping in between in Pisa
Day8: From Firenze via many many hairpins en twisties towards Rimini.
Day9: towards Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, passing the circuit van Imola and visit the Ducati museum in Bologna
Day10: towards the mediterenean sea in the region of Portofino
Day11: via Genua towards Milaan, where we fly back to Belgium

Still tough decision to make by then: ye old Fazer1 or the little black Tiger...yet 4 months to decide.

rough itinerary:

Day1: Arriving at Bari where our bikes are waiitng for us. We go via Via de Trulli of Alborebello and sassi van Matera to Picerno.
Day2: From Picerna via Pasteum, Pompei to destination Caserta.
Day3: From Caserta via various national parks to Middle-Italië, de Abruzzen, L’Aquila
Day4: We leave l’Aquila and via lots of mountain roads towards Assisi
Day5: From Assisi via Lago di Bolsena to Siena.
Day6: restday with two route options: direction Volterra – Elba or Pienza – Montepulciano
Day7: From Siena we drive towards Firenze, stopping in between in Pisa
Day8: From Firenze via many many hairpins en twisties towards Rimini.
Day9: towards Castelnuovo di Garfagnana, passing the circuit van Imola and visit the Ducati museum in Bologna
Day10: towards the mediterenean sea in the region of Portofino
Day11: via Genua towards Milaan, where we fly back to Belgium

Still tough decision to make by then: ye old Fazer1 or the little black Tiger...yet 4 months to decide.

Come on Arnold, take the FZ1 with ya! Will be a ton of fun on those mountain roads!

I decided to rent a Ducati Monster 821 for the trip. I know it's not a liter bike but I'm not carrying any luggage or passenger so it should be a real hoot in the Passo del Stelvio and the other mountain passes along the route. I may even get a chance to see where my father was imprisoned in Dachau in 1944-45 if the camp still exists, it was near Landsberg am Lech or Hurlach..

Last edited:
Come on Arnold, take the FZ1 with ya! Will be a ton of fun on those mountain roads!

I got now the routes and GPS tracks and the most routes vary from 250 to 350km a day. Problem is that on most of these mountain sections/routes very few fuelstations. The Little Black Tiger can deal up to 300km, whereas the FZ1 (on such sporty high revving mountain stretches) will need to be refuelled at 200km....another advantage of the LBT is that it has proper lockable luggage casings, where the FZ1 has only soft bags... difficult decision....

My first 5 days of routes..

Attachments

• DAY1.jpg
    DAY1.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DAY2.jpg
    DAY2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DAY3.JPG
    DAY3.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DAY4.JPG
    DAY4.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DAY5.JPG
    DAY5.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DAY6.jpg
    DAY6.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 34
I'm back from a splendid Italian roadtrip. I indeed had a blast, even on my little Black Tiger.
First day we went from BAri to Picerno, where the roads were not that great. Even one section where we literally jumped off the street to land a few meters further, both wheels in the air. My left mirror was already a wee bit cracked, so that jump knocked it completely off. but no issues, we move the mirror from the right and fix it on the left and ride on...
Overall we encountered countless turns, twisties, hairpins up and down, steep slopes, good roads, bad roads, offroads, tunnels, offcamber turns...we rolled the Amalfi coast line (considered one of the #worldsmostdangerousroads" Amalfi Coast Road
Beautiful sceneries and view on mountains....we travelled up in thick fog and 2°C up to 2200m, to realize we could not see anything and had to roll down tailing eachothers taillight...Whenever I passed a creek, river, sea or lake, I took the opportunity to go for a dip to cool off.
City trips, visiting beautfil historic cities like Siena, Firenze, Assisi, Rimini was not really planned as it would take too much time away from riding time, plus the temperature being so warm in full summer gear was sometimes too much...
Visited (not entered) the Ducati Museum, the Imola racetrack and some of the others visited Tuvallia, the hometown of VR46, but found it overrated.

Summarized, it is a beautfil country, awesome roads, friendly people, good food and wine, and good weather...what more do you need

Some pictures for an impression. I'll be working on the number of vids and pics I took over time, stay tuned...
Now prepping for my trip with the family to Northern Sweden

Attachments

• IMG_7598.jpg
    IMG_7598.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7600.jpg
    IMG_7600.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7609.jpg
    IMG_7609.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7613.jpg