Just bought a stock Gen 2 2006 - slow compared to my Gen 1 ???

• Thread starter Deleted member 8386
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8386

Hi all,

Today I just bought a completely stock 2006 35,000kms only from a guy who has hardly ridden it in the last few years after he stopped touring on it.

6 years ago I had a Gen 1 2001 which had a slip on plus Ivans carb mod and that bike would give my new Gen 2 proper flogging!!!

So, what can I do to my Gen 2 to bring it to life without breaking the bank....?

Got to say I'm feeling a little disappointed as just coming from an 2005 VFR800 which would easily beat me off the line and probably to 100k's also.

I know the 998's have a big top end but I'm chasing a stronger bottom and mid range!!!

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated??? since now that I'm back on a Yamaha

Congrats on the new FZ1. I recently picked up my second FZ1 as well. I had a 2008 about 10 years ago and loved it. I sold it for a Superduke. That was definitely a cool bike but I honestly never got comfortable with the bike and decided to sell it. Been through quite a few other bikes since then, but I've officially gone full circle now. I was very lucky to find a bone stock 2009 with only 6,900 miles and it runs perfectly and feels extremely fast to me since I'm coming off a Ninja 400 for the last 3 years...LOL

Keep in mind that you're comparing the first gen carb'd R1 engine to the later gen fuel injected one. They definitely have different characteristics. I've owned several of both and the earlier models do feel more torquey and powerful in the lower RPM's.

First I'd confirm everything is running tip top. Maybe check/change the plugs and air filter? Then if you want more bottom end, simplest thing is to add a 16 tooth front sprocket. That will definitely give you some more pull. Then you will need a Speedo Healer to correct the speedo error. They're like $100 on Ebay. Then if you want to spend more money look into getting a ECU reflash. I'm reading good things about Vcyclenut and Ivans. I've decided not to change my bike in the engine and exhaust dept and I'm just gonna focus on suspension and aesthetics..

Let's see some pics...

Happy Riding!

Great post and insight. I recently joined the FZ1 crowd. My 2008 is bone stock and I've been on the fence about doing any modifications. I spoke with Ivan and he has a new flash coming out that keeps the bike all stock with the exception of drilling 2 holes in the airbox. Not sure if I should do it. I'm coming off a GSXR750 and the FZ is better suited for my riding style and so much more comfortable to commute on.

I've also noticed and find it interesting that people heavily modded their bike and are not trying to source parts to take it all back to stock. Are all these modifications really worth it?

Are all these modifications really worth it?

Touchy subject that probably has many different opinions. A motorcycle is never (or very rarely) an investment. You will most likely never get out of it what you put into it, financially speaking...LOL
Don't get me wrong, I've fixed up and flipped quite a few for a profit over the years, but were talking modding a perfectly stock bike. Some people think it adds value, but in my experience it does not.
And the power these bikes produce is more than any sane rider would ever need on the street. So in "my opinion" all the power mods are not worth it...

Suspension, luggage, lighting, comfort, brakes, levers...and things that add to comfort and personalization are more worth it to me. My MO has usually been to mod to my preference keeping all stock parts, then de-mod back to stock before selling...

my carby one and now efi one I'm finding excellent fuelling. However, the carby one had ivans carbs kit

What's the difference between the Ivan Flash and Vcyclenut other than the Vcycle is 100 bucks cheaper? The throttle cutting off on this bike is the only thing I don't like.

I’m not sure as I’m new to this bike as well.
From what I’ve gleaned reading through numerous post is Ivan is/was the go to guy who spent a lot of time figuring the proper mapping for this bike.

To counter that, I have no clue how much time Vcyclenut spent on it. Could have been more time, could have been less.

I was torn between Vcyclenut and Bauce racing, both at $200 plus shipping.
Until I found a $20 off code for vcyclenut on a YouTube vid I was watching, so that’s the way I went. ( watched a lot of customer submitted vids for both)
My ECU is in transit now.

the code if you are interested is “Motosouth“

The vcyclenut add linked above states “Lifetime reflashes are included in original purchase to original purchases. Shipping fees still apply.” I figured if there was something about it I didn’t care for I’d send it back for another tweak.

BTW, it just hit me-
2 weeks ago or so I blocked off the AIS port that goes into the airbox (to stop the deceleration popping) and performed the LARS mod to the airbox.
The first ride out I found the new air flow induction noise into the airbox to be loud and annoying- to the point I was shopping on EBAY for a stock airbox to reverse my mistake. The next ride out a few days later I didn't hear the change in volume anymore- as if I got used to it quickly. It just sound normal to my ears now.
I also added a gear indicator - but that isn't part of why I'm writing this......

What I did notice - which is why I'm telling you here- is that the jerkiness at low RPM's in low gears was WAAYYY less noticeable, almost to the point of not pulling the ECU and shipping it off.
I'm not sure why I felt a change, it could have just been altered perception with the lack of popping noise, but I could swear it got smoother.

Both mods are free, one is irreversible, the other would cost $$ to reverse.

If a quiet ride is part of your quest- skip the LARS mod, if increased intake airflow noise is a non issue- you might want to give them a shot before proceeding further.

Touchy subject that probably has many different opinions. A motorcycle is never (or very rarely) an investment. You will most likely never get out of it what you put into it, financially speaking...LOL
Don't get me wrong, I've fixed up and flipped quite a few for a profit over the years, but were talking modding a perfectly stock bike. Some people think it adds value, but in my experience it does not.
And the power these bikes produce is more than any sane rider would ever need on the street. So in "my opinion" all the power mods are not worth it...

Suspension, luggage, lighting, comfort, brakes, levers...and things that add to comfort and personalization are more worth it to me. My MO has usually been to mod to my preference keeping all stock parts, then de-mod back to stock before selling...
But these bike in stock form very gutless off the line and at low speeds also. A bike with 150HP stock oughta pull like a train from idle. MY 05 VFR800 would smoke my 06 FZ1 to 100kms unless I did some serious throttle and cutch work. I guess I'm gunna have to spend some
$ to her her going

Last edited by a moderator:
If your bike feels very gutless at low speeds then I think you should start looking into it. Sounds like there’s something wrong with it.

Also, a VFR 800 and FZ1 are all within a few tenths of a second 0-60 so if you can detect that difference at the seat of the pants then you must be a hel of a rider!...

D5DF56BF-7B22-4F09-9D9F-D982ADD18090.jpeg43E8D857-A49E-417B-881C-212848F146F6.jpeg

Interesting that the carbureted FZ-1’s are a tick quicker than the fuel injected models.
That chart somewhat confirms the gags on the early fuel injected models in the lower rpm / lower gear ranges Which also equates to lower 1/4 miles times.

If your bike feels very gutless at low speeds then I think you should start looking into it. Sounds like there’s something wrong with it.

I just looked at the air filter and its horrible, full of gunk at only 35,000kms. Put new plugs in Std NGK's and the ones that came out were the "K" NGK's twin earth type and they didn't look too bad. I doubt either of these are causing sloppy power.

What I have noticed a couple of time since I bought the bike a week ago is when doing a hot start it idled roughly and sounded really "choppy" but it went away 1 or 2 seconds after moving. It could be an intermittent problem but I don't think its affecting power when that condition isn't present.

The early gears/low speed factory restrictions might just the the issue here. Guess I need a ECU Flash / Ivans / Power Commander etc....I don't know where to start on this front. (I've got a K&N air filter on the way and will source a sports slip on muffler soon, hopefully a used one to save some cash)

I'll get her going properly.....with some help from more experiences FZ1ers. I'm in Sydney if anyone can give me some tips much appreciated !!!

yes the first gen is a tad faster, and off the line better, and it gets better millage even over a couple mt passes (8000 ft) and while just out having fun. plus it holds more fuel in a factory tank. mine is modified a bit so i can hold about 1/2 gallon more. that's pushing 6 gallon cap. i have been called a tanker.
the second gen is a good 50 pounds lighter, but you would not know it.
couple years back i rode up to watch the eclipse, only had to stop for fuel twice. mostly as i did not want the fuel level to go below 1/3 tank. as some of the trip was a bit deserted, aka no gas for miles. and i did a couple side trips, I5 is very boring.

Back