Just bought a wrecked FZ1-got some electrical questions

jdrrx

Hello

I just picked up a 2003 FZ1 that was laid down, flipped over and beat up, the forks are bent, cluster destroyed, key cylinder destroyed and a bunch of cosmetic damage. I am trying to get the bike to fire up, so i can assess and make a plan to repair/customize or just part out..... so I am looking at wiring diagrams and making a plan to hot wire it, but It looks like the lack of the instrument cluster and bypassing the ignition switch may be a problem.

any thoughts? This is my first Yamaha, any tips or ideas would greatly appreciated

thank you in advance

The ECU, immobiliser, and electronics in the key need to "shake hands" before the ignition circuits will allow the bike to start. I don't know without serious investigation if you can "defeat" the ECU by hot wire but I would be interested to hear if you get a result as I occasionally visit bike auctions looking for crashed - stolen recovered bikes that are running with keys as I think they are only good for breaking if the "master" key is missing.

After writing this I see your in USA and the American FZ1,s don't have the immobiliser as standard so it would be just the key and ECU that need to "shake hands" so maybe the hot wire is possible. Not sure this helps ya but if you can score an ignition key, barrell and ECU off the same bike from a breakers yard then you should be in business. Just get a second oppinion before spending good money though.

Last edited:
Back