K&N air filter fitment problem

ghetto_d

New to forum, new to Fazers.
Upon finishing up the install of a K&N air filter into my gen. II FZ1, I couldn't get the airbox lid to sit completely closed/flat. Tried tightening it down with the screws, but it remained flexed a bit (toward front, on both sides). It's as if the filter is a bit too thick.
Has anyone experienced this? I tried searching for any prior mention within the forums, but came up with nothing.
I have a BMC in my R1, and have no fitment issues...

Very, very common with the K&N for the FZ1. From what I've seen on the forum, you're better off getting a refund and getting something else

Ditto to Dustin's post above. I tried everything to force the brace to fit properly, cutting, bending, and removing altogether. You CAN'T run the bike with out the brace as the filter will deform and let unfiltered air in. K&N customer service wasn't that helpful so I bought a BMC and couldn't be happier. Good luck.

Alrighty then - that's what i figured. thanks for the input. I'm going to by a BMC, and get rid of the K&N. The K&N came with the bike, uninstalled, so i'm not out more than the time I've spent. For the record, I would have bought the BMC in the first place; I've never been a K&N fan.

Some of you need to come over and break it to my 06 that her K&N filter doesn't fit. She doesn't know and I didn't have the heart to tell her because I never noticed this near universal problem when reinstalling the filter.

I'd put my next paycheck on it if you go look at your air box where it starts to narrow down that it doesn't seal quite tight. Whether or not it leaks air I can't say but I wasn't gonna chance it. I suppose a smoke test would've been an indication but I made it seal right instead.

I may try a K&N air filter. I would guess that my bike has the original 2007 air filter. It's time for a new one. I don't know if I will go with the OEM paper replacement, or do a reusable one like K&N. I'll let you know what I decide and how it works.

I'd put my next paycheck on it if you go look at your air box where it starts to narrow down that it doesn't seal quite tight. Whether or not it leaks air I can't say but I wasn't gonna chance it. I suppose a smoke test would've been an indication but I made it seal right instead.

I'm going to offer all present here my confidence that you are not attempting to install it upside-down.

Not all but most people that have ones that fit seem to be older? I suspect K & N changed something. Not sure what to make of ReconViperr's comment but I know 100% that every one of the 5 times I fitted mine it was correctly orientated.

Nope I'm a bike service tech and I can't figure out how to fit a k&n on my bike. Glad you were here to tell me that I'd have never figured it out without you.

All 54 of us on the forum that have issues must be putting em in wrong.

I'm going to offer all present here my confidence that you are not attempting to install it upside-down.

Wow. What an intelligent way of calling a lot of people on this forum complete morons. Most have been riding 30 + years and have been doing their own maintenance as long. I think they can figure out the proper orientation of an air filter. Did it ever cross your mind that maybe K&N changed something and screwed something up. Way to make friends.

Anyone leave their K&N filter in and try running it for awhile? Think I will and I'll let you know. Attached are a couple photos of the air box sealing issues.

Attachments

• 16232002634034761384161144490760.jpg
    16232002634034761384161144490760.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 16232002903097814550215243179842.jpg
    16232002903097814550215243179842.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Back