KLR 650 vs. FZ-1 (Apples & Oranges)

The relativity factor

Sometimes comparing Apple to Oranges can be enlightening. It’s easier to point out the differences by comparison. Same thing as going swimming, when you first step in the lake on a hot day it may seem very cold. Once you take the plunge it seems to get warmer. In reality the lake or pool is the same temperature, it’s your perception of the water that has changed. Put this to the test if there is a pool and hot tub side-by-side, notice how frigid the pool is if you jump in after a soak in the hot tub and vise versa.
Having two very different bikes is just like this. When I first bought my 2008 FZ-1, I came from a 25-year-old FZ 600, and the differences in every aspect of the bike were huge. I got a good idea of this when I did a power lift after pulling out of the dealers parking lot (the day of picking up the new machine), using similar throttle to what I would with the 600. Quite an eye opener, and the first of many revelations as to how far performance had come in two and a half decades. After one season of riding I had become acclimated. The astounding performance of the FZ seemed less incredible. In reality I had just become used to having such incredible performance.
Very recently I made another bike purchase, a 2010 KLR 650. For those unfamiliar with the bike, it is what is known as a “thumper”, a 651 cc single cylinder, carbureted, 35bhp, at 432 lbs. A dual sport with a bolt upright riding position, wide bars, tall bike, with softly sprung suspension. It feels down right anemic in regards to power after jumping off the FZ.

DSCN0984.jpg

gardenpose.jpg

In one day I can go back and forth (and have), and it’s easy to see the brilliance in the design of both. The FZ-1 shines in the handling department and in the power. Anyone that thinks that the FZ isn’t powerful enough should ride the KLR for a day. You would never complain about lack of power or about the delivery of the power, nor of vibration again. Vibration is a fact of life with a big single. It is low frequency to be sure, but vibration non-the less. The big single is all about torque and in that regard it delivers from the moment the clutch is released. Smooth, shuddering power as linear as the salt flats. By the time you max out the KLR’s power the FZ would be in the next state.
The suspension is in a different galaxy on the KLR, than the FZ as well. The KLR is long travel, soft and cushy where as the FZ is short travel, taunt and very effective when set up. Most riders will never push the FZ beyond what the factory suspension has to offer (or at least shouldn’t on the street, lets be honest). The KLR has primitive suspension but seems to work. It is soft and soaks up even the worst of typical city and highway road damage, but I would not want to push the bike in the corners like I do with the FZ. Under hard braking the front dives sharply, which doesn’t seem to adversely affect the ability to come to a quick stop. It just can’t hold a candle to the FZ in this regard either. To be honest though, you will never have to stop the KLR from as high a speed as the FZ because it will never go that fast. The KLR’s 35 ponies will run out of steam long before the 150 horses (give or take) that propel the FZ.
Getting off the KLR with it’s expansive handle bars, the FZ’s bars felt like clip-ons (about 10” difference). The KLR would not fit through the 36” man door on my garage without being at an angle and scraping one side. I upgraded the KLR’s brake lines before I took it home so the stock brakes are as good as they can be and do a very respectable job of stopping the thumper. The rear brake on the KLR actually offers better feedback than the FZ’s. The single front disc is nowhere near as good as the duals on the FZ. If it were I could wear the T-shirt that says, “I do my own stunts”. Once again, it feels right for the bike, but shows the brilliance of the FZ’s equipment. The sum of the parts (and how they work as a package) is often overlooked with machines.
Comparing the two machines is very much like comparing Apples to Oranges. Side by side they are easy to show just how good each is in its own right. By going from FZ to KLR (and back) each shines for its intended purpose. For the FZ 1 owner or perspective owner (as an FZ 1 owner) let me tell you how truly excellent our bike really is. If you have become jaded after riding such a finely honed instrument, do yourself a favor. Go out and ride a totally different type of motorcycle, even if just for a day. It will be like going from the pool to the hot tub. When you get back on to the FZ you will know how hot your daily ride really is! Everything is relative.

Oldschool

Last edited:
I'm with ya Oldschool! :cheers:

I've got my '08 FZ1 and a '07 Suzuki DR-Z400 Supermoto.
It sure is fun cranking that 38 HP tard through the twisty bits!

Great comparison OS.

It's funny, coming from the 1125R to the FZ1 I had the same obervations as you; bolt up right, soft, big and wide!LOL It's all relative I suppose.

The relativity factor

If you have become jaded after riding such a finely honed instrument, do yourself a favor. Go out and ride a totally different type of motorcycle, even if just for a day. It will be like going from the pool to the hot tub. When you get back on to the FZ you will know how hot your daily ride really is! Everything is relative.

Oldschool

Good comparison. I am one of the lucky ones that happen to own 2 motorcycles, the other being a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit (1100) the thing has like 30 something HP, I usually ride for a week to work then swap out. So yes I totally understand thay they are built for different purposes but, it's amazing to feel the difference between the two when it comes to performance, comfort and cool appeal, and anything motorcycle related that you can think of.

Two rockets

I had to find something a little more sporty than my gl1800. a used 2002 fz1 fit the bill perfectly. Now I go from a 960 lb rocket ship to a 460lb rocket ship. It keeps me from being jaded with either bike .Life is good

I get to ride my wife's '09 Ninja 250r on occasion. A great bike, in it's own respect and purpose (other than it desperately needs fuel injection!). Now there's a difference. I notice the nimble lightness of the Ninja 250 and then the fact that I might have to shift to second to beat the top end of the 250 on my FZ1.

Honestly, the 250 can be more fun than the FZ1 in town just buzzing from stop sign to stop sign (you actually have to shift), and it's just fun (but my fat body looks pretty dumb on such a little bike). The new ('08 and newer) styling is spot on for me, and it looks like a 600 in most respects (rear tire is a 130 and it has no stock hugger are the most obvious to me).

I grew up on on/off road bikes (all thumper, first 2-strokes and then 4-strokes, even more differences to be found there, as you know), so maybe that's why I took so well to the mostly upright position of the FZ and I'm still happy with stock performance. I always wanted a super sport bike when I was younger, but wanted to get out in the dirt and play. The 'dual sport' bikes were jacks of all trades, masters on none, that is other than diversity. (plus the price was better too) To only have one bike back then, it had to be a dual sport for dirt and street. They weren't too cool, but the chicks still wanted a ride! (chicks dig bikes) and you could 'run out of gas' in places you couldn't on a street bike ;)

Anyway, I may be alive today because I couldn't afford a super sport back then, and it's much easier to take your lumps and dumps (and over-the-bars) in the dirt than the pavement. My biggest longing and unfullment with my FZ1 is the ability to take the dirt road and not care where it leads of if it ends. I'll have to get another bike, and it will have to be an on/off road bike. I would like it to have FI and be a bit more dirt oriented than what I've had in the past (Yamaha XT 350 new in '86 until mid '90's when a bimbo turned it into a pretzel :cry:) I like the Yamaha WR 250, but I think I might want the KLR 650 too. I'll have a bit to think about it while I save my pennies, but I won't give up the FZ1!

Last edited:
Back