LED Lights on ya bike in Aust...

I want to do this to mine as well, with blue ones that shine onto the pavement. The way I figure I get pulled over all the time anyway...so what harm can it do? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone had any trouble with the law with having LEDs fitted?
Is it legal, pass rego every time?

I'm in Victoria and arranged my own RWC with Brighton Kawasaki ( who have a good mechanic BTW). Very strict here - they even photo the bike, exhaust , tyres and any mods. I had to swap the tail tidy back to the original - a definite no go especially with the blue LED number plate light. Back on the same day of course. I'd ring a bike shop that does RW and see what they say. Are you thinking clear lenses as well? Keep all the stock parts.......

I'm in Victoria and arranged my own RWC with Brighton Kawasaki ( who have a good mechanic BTW). Very strict here - they even photo the bike, exhaust , tyres and any mods. I had to swap the tail tidy back to the original - a definite no go especially with the blue LED number plate light. Back on the same day of course. I'd ring a bike shop that does RW and see what they say. Are you thinking clear lenses as well? Keep all the stock parts.......

Maybe clear lens, not sure yet...
Was going to try to make a small led cct board to fit into the stock blinker pods...
Otherwise there are the cheap ones on fleabay, but they would need a brighter LED in those which I can get...

I've had LED globes in the std lens in my cars for years now and as long as they work they have always passed rego. But it seems that car rego's are easier to pass...

Has anyone had any trouble with the law with having LEDs fitted?
Is it legal, pass rego every time?
It'll be different in each state, and depend on the cop pulling you over...or test station doing the test as I understand it.

A mate of mine with an R1 has a combined LED rear light and indicator set which is not legal and if pulled over he negotiates 14 days to have it rectified and inspected....then reverts back to what looks nice! He always buys bolt on upgrades and keeps the originals naturally for when he needs them.

Moral of the story I think is combined LED / brake lights will attract more attention from the law and you are more likely to get pulled over than LED "separates".

Of course here in QLD the bike is only inspected on sale / purchase and not annually. I'm just about to buy some flush fron LED indicators and discreet LED rears (and keep the standard tail / brake light.

Good luck, Mossie

I just put red lights in my parking lights and hope it is legal. I have red ones on my number plate and have had not worry's at all.

Unfortunately niether are legal in Aus, they only allow red lights to face rear & number plate lights to be white. Coloured number plate lights do look good though.

I have thought about doing this - something subtle - just to be seen better at night.
If the police did pull me over I would be happy to explain that these lights are a benefit to everyone. They help motorcyclist be seen and save the officers the hassle of removing dead motorcycle drivers from the street.
On the other hand - as several of us have argued - numerous traffic laws are about revenue instead of keeping citizens safe. I cannot think of one single reason that LED lighting would put anyone in danger.

You can do what I have which is the integrated tail light and separate turn signals. I looked up the ADR's and from memory the turn signals must have a minimum separation of 240mm. A bit of an bet each way.
PS I think that the new Victory's have an integrated as standard. If so a precedent has been set.

Back