Left signal indicator light on instrument cluster coming on

Lazre

Hi folks,

New on here. Been reading the posts and you people seem quite helpful, I have to say. I recently bought a 07 FZ1 with 14K on it. The only mods done to the bike are factory lower fairings and an aftermarket fender eliminator with integrated brake/signal lights. The bike is immaculate and in excellent shape. It is a fun bike and I truly enjoy it.

Recently, I noticed that the left indicator light on the instrument panel blinks intermitently when the signal light is not activated. The signal light itself works fine when activated and the marker light functions properly.

I am guessing that there is a loose connection in the instrument panel causing the flashing indicator as the blinking is intermediate and inconsistant (timewise). It also seems to vary with the RPM level (Higher RPMs sees the light on constantly, while at lower rpms, the light hardly comes on at all). Also, when the signal light indicator is activated the instrument panal indicator light seems to function normally).

Anyone out there experiencing the same problem?

Hi Lazre, first: welcome and congrats with the bike. 2nd, are the indicators the original ones are aftemarket LEDs. in case of LED it could mean a resistor needs to be added to reduce the current. Also check if maybe a wire-insulation is damaged and is contacting the frame...

I would have to say to clean any connectors and use dilectric grease before reattaching. Also check your grounds. Sometimes a loose ground wire can make things seem haywire. I'm betting it's a loose connection.

Thanks guys for the info. I was thinking it may be a grounding issue but I was assuming that it was inside the instrument cluster as the actual signal light on the front and back were working normally. However, DenArnold's and FZ1riderNY's comments now have me thinking that I should inspect all of the wiring front to back. Also, the bike has an aftermarket undertail with integrated LED brake and signal lights. It does cause the "quick blink issue" associated with using LEDs. Now I am thinking I should do a quick inspection to ensure the installation was done properly.

Thanks for info and the warm welcome!

L

Back