Lithium Batteries: What You Need To Know

Nice one, another good read. I've done my own research and found a company that does these new batteries to fit my fz1. My standard lead acid is a 11 or 12 Ah the new Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4 batteries but there 19Ah but there £180 and from MDS batteries in Enfield north london. I'm going to get one when my lead acid one dies. These ones have a better Ah rating than lead acid.

I bought a shorai for mine. I love it in the summer. But once the temps drop below 40 it's a pain. It likes a load on it for a few minutes before it wants to start the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good info, right there... so Lithium it will be, when this lead brick finally dies. I don't ride below 45f, so it should not really be an issue.

For those concerned about cold starting: I used a Shorai in my 919 and it never left me stranded, even down at - 10c. Leave your ignition on for a minute or two before cranking and you should have no troubles.

Too bad my insurer didn't let me take the battery with me when they wrote the bike off.

Maybe for an inline motor these will work but for a v twin or v four forgettaboutit not even close to a Yusau below 40f*. And dont expect any support from shoria they didnt even return my calls

For those concerned about cold starting: I used a Shorai in my 919 and it never left me stranded, even down at - 10c. Leave your ignition on for a minute or two before cranking and you should have no troubles.

Too bad my insurer didn't let me take the battery with me when they wrote the bike off.

Dustin seems like you have very good luck with alot of things !! You must be a cycle whisperer

I took the EarthX from the Stelvio and managed to shoehorn it into the Tuono. Spins that puppy right up! IIRC its a 24 cell. The XV with high compession and big cams spins well with a Shoei 18 cell. I think people make the mistake of trying to put the smallest LiFePo in, vs. the largest they can cram in. The weight between a 4 cell and an 8 cell for example is next to nothing. The main thing is got out of a lead battery.

And Dustin is correct, warm it up for 60 seconds then hit the starter. I put on my helmet and gloves, hit the button and go.

Anyone know of any feedback on the Battery Tender batteries? Batteries

Obviously I don't need one but Michele's bike is turning over slow and she is always "Tendered" . . . her bike is a 2007 and I'm betting the battery is still the original. We've never replaced it anyway. So I'm hunting for a battery for her. If I buy her a very nice Lithium type and she decides she wants a new bike, I can always move it to my bike. ;)

Last edited:
I bought a shorai soon after I bought my fazer last year. Been really happy with it. Cranks her right up quick - notable difference in cranking amps over factory battery. Have no experience with it in cold weather. Did not put tender on it all winter, and bike started right up this spring like usual, despite having had ignition on & testing installed electrical components over winter.
I bought the tender, but wanted to experiment...

Back