Looking for some new gear...

Matt C.

I'm in the market for some new gear. Im looking for a new helmet, a pair of gauntlet gloves, and a cold weather jacket.

Id like to stay under $300 for the helmet and $125 for the gloves. Im not quite sure where to start with the jacket.

I have looked at the Bell Vortex helmet, along with the Scorpion EXO1100, along with the AGV K4. For the gloves, Ive looked at the A*s SP-2.

Im open to any and all suggestions. Feel free to give your thoughts

Thanks

Matt

If I were you, I'd go with a shoei. I got the rf1100 after having a bunch of cheaper helmets that fell apart after a few months daily use. The Qwest is just barely over 300 and it is a less sporty style of the rf1100. It's got good venting and noise reduction and it's pretty dang comfortable. Maybe somebody else has a good suggestion for a lower cost helmet, but I just wasn't really able to find one I loved.

Thank you. I looked at the Quest pretty hard. I like the look and have read several reviews on it. I have a scorpion 700 now and have been pretty happy with it. I know how they fit. Thats my main reason for keeping the scorpion high on the list. Thanks for your suggestion.

Keep em coming.

Matt

Go with the helmet that fits the best. Higher price does ot mean better protection.

Totally agree. Some brands just won't fit you as they design helmets for a range of head shapes which may not be yours. I've used Arai, HJC, Scorpion and Shark and find my Scorpion EXO-500 to be the most comfortable helmet by far and away. The fit is perfect and a lot of the other helmets I used were not quite right.

Go for the best fitting, most comfortable helmet with the features you want within your budget. Get a Snell or ECE certified helmet.

Gloves are the same deal. All the brands fit differently and also size differently. I have some gloves in a small, some in an extra small and some even in ladies sizes. I just try everything on until I find a glove that fits... well, like a glove.

Currently using RS Taichi GP-WRX, Five RFX New & Fieldsheer Polar gloves

Last edited:
I went down last year in my $100 exo700 and it got messed up pretty bad but my noggin was ok. Thats why I bought another 700. Cheap and I know that they are decent helmets.

I'd like to step up a bit now tho.

As far as gloves go, alpinestar is the was to go. i have a pair of alpinestar SP-8 gauntlet gloves, great gloves they were about $85 there is a model up from those at ~ $100 if you want more color

It took me a long time to find gloves that fit right I ended up going with alpinestars sp-2 gauntlet gloves and couldn't be happier, really comfortable(for me) and they feel bulletproof, cost around 100, try on everything you can find first

Right now sportbiketrackgear.com has Bell Star helmets on sale for $330. I have one and they are awesome lids. great ventilation and super comfortable. they are the better version of Bell's vortex line for a great price.

I think helmets are pretty much covered. As for jackets, I know my next ones an aerostitch. Bought a pair of the trousers last year, best bit of kit I've ever bought!

I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter and it's the best piece of gear I've ever used. I got it used but it's so good I would pay full price for a new one any day

I had a pair of Castle Streetwear Axis gloves $55 which I loved, nice leather, hard knucke protection, and gel pad palm.

I also had a Tourmaster Intake 3.0 Jacket that was perfect $210. When in town I could use just the shell and then when I would go up north on long rides I could put both the windproof shell and fleece liner. Never got cold once in temps down to 50 maybe 45 in some dark spots.

I'm looking at an Arai Rx-Q or Arai XD4. After going down in my CL-Max II I won't buy a cheap helmet again.

Last edited:
The RX-Q is a great helmet but I would avoid the XD-4 for a street-only helmet. If you were getting a sore neck from the wind with that HJC, the dual sport style helmet will be torture based on what I've read online

I had the same thought, but the guy said for low speed in town commuting it is not bad at all and helps with the sun (I'm in Phoenix and we have a lot).

For long rides he suggested taking off the visor and it looks like all the other Arai's.

Did your RX-Q break in? I measured out at a x-large and found it to be just a little snug, like a baseball cap that is a little too tight and you hope breaks in. I didn't have any distinct "hot spots" but just an overall sense of snug pressure on my head.

I have heard lots of negative things about that style of helmet but I've never tried one for myself. YMMV. I certainly wouldn't want that big duck bill on at highway speeds. If sun is an issue, get a helmet with a retractable sunshield. :)

We do have a couple members here who use that style of helmet, I know Lee (Oldschool) does.

Regarding the RX-Q: I've only tried it on at the Arai booth at a motorcycle show. I was looking for a replacement for my Arai Vector.

Last edited:
I have heard lots of negative things about that style of helmet but I've never tried one for myself. YMMV. I certainly wouldn't want that big duck bill on at highway speeds. If sun is an issue, get a helmet with a retractable sunshield. :)

We do have a couple members here who use that style of helmet, I know Lee (Oldschool) does.

Regarding the RX-Q: I've only tried it on at the Arai booth at a motorcycle show. I was looking for a replacement for my Arai Vector.

I guess same question, did the Vector break in? I did try on a Vector 2 and it was really close in fit to the RxQ.

In my experience, a perfect fit for a helmet is one that, when new, fits just a bit too snug. I like your baseball cap analogy, a helmet that fits properly will break in a bit but it shouldn't loosen up like your CL-Max did. Out of the box, it should firmly contact your head all the way around the circumference of your crown but not give you any pressure points. The helmet should contact you along your temple in much the same way and fight tight around the cheeks. When you try it on, try it on for a good 15 minutes. Sit down, surf on your phone and give it time to reveal any pressure points. Buying a helmet should be a personal ordeal, not a 'get in and get out' experience. :)

This is what I have picked up from talking to parts guys, helmet reps at shows, reading online and from my own experiences. If this information is incorrect, I hope someone will correct me :woot: Nothing I hate more than misinformation going around, especially when it's something important like a helmet

Last edited:
In my experience, a perfect fit for a helmet is one that, when new, fits just a bit too snug. I like your baseball cap analogy, a helmet that fits properly will break in a bit but it shouldn't loosen up like your CL-Max did. Out of the box, it should firmly contact your head all the way around the circumference of your crown but not give you any pressure points. The helmet should contact you along your temple in much the same way and fight tight around the cheeks. When you try it on, try it on for a good 15 minutes. Sit down, surf on your phone and give it time to reveal any pressure points. Buying a helmet should be a personal ordeal, not a 'get in and get out' experience. :)

This is what I have picked up from talking to parts guy, helmet reps at shows, reading online and from my own experiences. If this information is incorrect, I hope someone will correct me :woot: Nothing I hate more than misinformation going around, especially when it's something important like a helmet

Thanks D, I think you just gave me the last piece of the puzzle. I think the guys at the store were a little scared to sell me the helmet and tell me it will break in. Worse case scenario there is a 2mm thinner insert and the Arai's have all the adjustable cheek pads from 30mm down to 12mm. It's about 50 bucks for each change.

I tried the Shoei RF-1100 and Qwest today but they had hot spots as it seemed they were for a little rounder head type than mine.

I wonder if the OP has tried the Arai Vector 2. The shop by me has an awesome online sale for them that is only 100 over his price target

Arai Vector 2 Helmets | Arai Vector 2 helmet GPhelmets.com

I will say I think the Arai has a much nicer finish to it.

Back