low beam headlight fault

Marquis

Hi.
My 07 fz1 s has developed a fault. I first noticed the problem on the way back from doing the NC500 in Scotland this past summer. On the long trip home the low beam lights kept cutting out, Not ideal on a dark motorway. I switched to high beams then back to low beam, It was ok for awhile but then cut out again a few times. I've checked bulbs fuses and relays, they all seem fine. I think it has to be a wiring fault. I've had problems in the past with the headlights but found a bad connection on the connector near the left indicator. (fully faired version). But I found those easily enough and crimped the wires together remote of the connector. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution? any thoughts on where I should Look would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

My '06 developed a fault around the head stem area where the loom passed through the wire frame cable guide.. it had rubbed and arced, popping the fuse.

I'm an electronics guy (25+ years now) and electronics never ceases to amaze me, but what was weird about my headlight fault was that it wasn't popping the fuse at first. Eventually it did, which helped me find the fault.. but I thought it was just a bad connection causing the lights to drop out. The day I was about to rip into it with contact lube and re-crimp the connections was the day the fuse popped. I found the cable support frame paint was worn off and the loom worn through to the copper. I'm guessing the paint coating was enough to have the lighting system become intermittent without failing outright, and once the paint wore through the fuse popped.

If the fault is intermittent, you're stuck with a big tear down and inspection. Look for anything that isn't mint condition and resolve it as you go.

Eventually though, most intermittent faults become permanent.. at that point you can divide and conquer... half split the circuit, isolating half the circuit to test, then halve the faulty circuit again, and again.

Cheers for the reply, I'm an electrician. But auto electrics is very different. But not totally alien to me. The fault was intermittent but has now stopped working on the low beam. I suspect it is a similar fault to yours. I have had a bit of a spill and broke my shoulder, (damn cyclist). so its going to be a month or 2 before I'll be able to do any fault finding. ☹

Back