Lowering Bike..help?!

Chipster

I bought some lowering links to drop the back end of my 2001 FZ1 about 2", (I'm 5'8"and on my toes) I'm pretty sure I can do that myself. What is involved in lowering the front end to match that (or close)? What level of difficulty would you put that at..? I'm a decent handyman, but not a mechanic by any stretch.
Thanks for any input.

If you can handle the links, you should be able to do the front as well.

6 allen bolts total, and you may have to remove the upper fairing, (mine was already off so I didn't have an clearance issues to contend with when torquing the bolts after I finished).

Bike on centerstand, loosen the right/left side, two bolts each on the lower tree, but do not remove (least I didn't have to). Then do the upper tree, one bolt only, but leave just enough tension to where the clamp still has some bite.

When you are ready to lower, use the upper tree clamps to offer some resistance, or have an assistant, but have them just loose enough to where you can move the forks to lower them. I was told not to go lower than 1/2 inch, really changes the bike feel and can really mess things up going any lower, (and I would not be able to give specifics as to why, was just told not to go any lower).

Tighten up the bolts, making sure that however much you lower is equal on both sides, and go for a test ride. Everything checks out, finish assembly and go on your merry way.

I will note, that lowering the bike will raise the bike when on its centerstand and make it more difficult to put the bike on its centerstand.

The reason for me lowering the front end was to allow the centerstand to be used b/c the rear tire rested on the ground b/c I had gone from lowering links to raised 1" above stock, I'm 6'2".

Hope this helps......

BroHay

not to jump in and sound like sour puss. Just something to think about when you lower this bike the balance of your suspension is going to be way outta whack. not that its a problem , just make sure to take the time and reset static sag etc. And by lowering the back of the bike and not the front if you decide not to.. could lead to disaster in high speed breaking. "without checking the suspension" Also Note: I'm not saying that you would. Just checking trends around me . I've seen a lot of ppl lower bikes without thinking twice about handling. I would just make sure to check the cause and affect. then tackle lowering p.s follow up after your done.. i've been thinking about going down an inch or so

I've considered lowering my bike but it handles just fine for me and by raising the fork tubes the geometery (trail) of the front suspension automatically changes, which will have an impact of handling. The FZ1 already has a steep angle on the front end and I believe by raising the tubes it's going to get just a tic steeper. If you do change them it would be advisable to take it easy the first time out to get a feel for it Who knows, you may like it and if you don't, you can always change back. I definitely wouldn't lower the rear without trying to make a front end change because that will really throw your geometry out of whack. I'm not sure about the Gen 1's but on the Gen 2's unfortunately I don't see any way to alter the seat enough to make a difference for shorter riders. I'm right at 5'6" and the seat height for me is right at the max before I'd feel uncomfortable with my reach to the ground.
Good luck and remember, a little bit at a time is far better than a large change all at once.

Back