Marchesini wheel review

Well, after finding a second hand set of Marchesini rims on Gumtree at a fraction of the cost of buying new, I dropped the coin and bought them. It took a while for the shipping company to get them to me, but well worth the wait & what a difference they make.

The tires that came on the wheels were well worn, so I got the guys at my local Yamaha dealership to swap my existing tires onto them as they were hardly worn and I didn't have enough coin at that time to put new ones on. It also helps to make a good comparison as the only change to the bike was the rims.

The Marchesini rims are a lot lighter than the stock rims and the difference is really evident in the twisties. The bike feels a lot lighter with these rims on and changing direction and acceleration & decelaration are greatly improved. I feel much more confident going hotter into corners than before and feel better carrying more speed through the turns than with the stock wheels. The biggest difference is definitely the ease of direction changes. I was surprised at how easy it was through switchbacks and fast sweeping left to rights and back than before.

I only have one thing that these wheels lack over the stock wheels, the gold shows up the dirt a lot more, but that is a small price I am more than willing to deal with.

Next mod (tomorrow) is the installation of the Ohlins FGRT 206 forks and R1 brakes. I'll review those in a month or more once I have had some riding time on them and can report the differences.

Well, after finding a second hand set of Marchesini rims on Gumtree at a fraction of the cost of buying new, I dropped the coin and bought them. It took a while for the shipping company to get them to me, but well worth the wait & what a difference they make.

The tires that came on the wheels were well worn, so I got the guys at my local Yamaha dealership to swap my existing tires onto them as they were hardly worn and I didn't have enough coin at that time to put new ones on. It also helps to make a good comparison as the only change to the bike was the rims.

The Marchesini rims are a lot lighter than the stock rims and the difference is really evident in the twisties. The bike feels a lot lighter with these rims on and changing direction and acceleration & decelaration are greatly improved. I feel much more confident going hotter into corners than before and feel better carrying more speed through the turns than with the stock wheels. The biggest difference is definitely the ease of direction changes. I was surprised at how easy it was through switchbacks and fast sweeping left to rights and back than before.

I only have one thing that these wheels lack over the stock wheels, the gold shows up the dirt a lot more, but that is a small price I am more than willing to deal with.

Next mod (tomorrow) is the installation of the Ohlins FGRT 206 forks and R1 brakes. I'll review those in a month or more once I have had some riding time on them and can report the differences.

SPOTTED! seen your bike in this months RAPID bikes magazine :)

Back