May 2013 - Skyline Drive/BRP/Deals Gap Ride

Hey guys, I'm planning a trip with a few people i know up my way. We live in the Westminster, MD area. If anyone wants to join for the whole trip, or just a leg of the trip, let me know. It will be at a nice pace. We are looking at 6-8 hours of riding per day. Stopping at minimum every 100 miles to gas up, stretch, eat, etc.

As of right now, we are looking at May 8 - 11th so the summer traffic doesn't really start hitting quite as much yet. We will actually be leaving the night of the 7th after everyone is off of work.

That night, we will be making a short 2 hour leg to Front Royal, VA, mostly on Route 340, where we will begin our trip on Skyline drive the morning of the 8th.

On Wednesday, the 8th, we will ride Skyline drive, taking our time and stopping at some overlooks to take pictures, etc. Then will stop for lunch and fuel at the end of skyline. From there we will continue on Blue Ridge Parkway down to Roanoke, VA. Which is where we will stay the night.

On Thursday, the 9th, we will leave Roanoke, get back on BRP and continue down to Asheville, NC. We will be stopping for fuel and also the occasional view and stretch on top of the 80ish mile fuel/food stops.

On Friday, the 10th, we will head from Asheville, NC to Deals Gap, which is only about a 3-3.5 hour ride. This will be on BRP until Cherokee. the rest of the day, we'll play around on 129, Cherohala Skyway, etc down there.

On Saturday, the 11th, we will head out of Deals gap and go up and hit I-81 for the only stretch on interstate travel of the trip. It's for about 150 miles until we hit I-77 north and get off on some back roads again. From there we will hit 601 in Rocky gap, VA and take that to Narrows, VA where we will pick up WV-219 north or WV-12 north up to Lewisburg, WV. This is where we will stay the night. Again, stopping every 80-100 miles at least.

On Sunday, the 12th, we will head on WV-219 and pick up WV-28, which is supposed to be another very nice ride. We will take that all the way to Moorefield, WV where we will pick up WV-55 East to WV-29 North to WV-50 East. From there we will take that to Winchester, VA and pick up 340 east back into Maryland.

We will be doing skyline drive and every mile of blue ridge parkway, just to say we did it. So if anyone would like to tag along, let me know. Should be a great time as always.

340 is boring.... very long and straight, but it gets you to the good roads! I'm out in bluemont, might try to ride part way down with you... I get my skyline pass every year, fall is def the most beautiful riding time. Dont push it on the parkways, rangers will nail you for going pretty much anything over 5-10 over... if you get a chance hop off and check out 211 and 33 as well... either direction and you have a good 30 min rollercoaster ride on them. Keep us updated on the schedule!

340 is boring.... very long and straight, but it gets you to the good roads! I'm out in bluemont, might try to ride part way down with you... I get my skyline pass every year, fall is def the most beautiful riding time. Dont push it on the parkways, rangers will nail you for going pretty much anything over 5-10 over... if you get a chance hop off and check out 211 and 33 as well... either direction and you have a good 30 min rollercoaster ride on them. Keep us updated on the schedule!

Yeah we are only taking 340 to get down to front royal. Probably stop for dinner on the way day. Just trying to take a chunk out of the boring stuff to get to the good stuff. Skyline drive we will definitely take it easy. That's why I planned it in the morning. It's more of an easy-does-it kind of stretch before I get too anxious and throttle happy. haha. it's hard to stay that way for too long on these bikes.

Thanks for the advice on 33 and 211. We can play those by ear and if we feel like getting off or if someone needs a "bathroom break" :yes: we may go exploring. haha.

I will keep you updated on the dates. I think they are pretty much set until really bad weather hits or we find out in the next week or 2 that someone can't get off work.

Knew this was coming up soon... man, I'm so busy at work, don't think I can get out mid week...

Have fun and take in the scenery, weather's been great in VA this past week.

Skip the brp from Roanoke to Asheville.. Take 221 from Roanoke to Independence VA, the 58 to Damascus.. Then 133 to Shady Valley... Ride 421 Down to Boone, NC and then south on 181 to Morganton... Then go to Asheville.

--note 2

Back