Maybe new fz1 owner

Hi, i am currently a owner of a Honda hornet 600 2006 and i am shopping for a new bike. I found a 2009 fz1 that i want to go take a good look at. But when searching i found this nice forum and there are god like mod for this bike so before buying it i would like to know a couple things.

Where can i find the lower cowl kit, the Yamaha one and a sport scoop with the factory chin fairing in canada ?

By the way the model i would buy is this one : http://brennys.com/files/large/98743109_1.jpg so the front is black and the back is gray. I would take both part black i think so the look get more fluid.

And how could i color the rims all black ? Wich way with wich paint ? Finally anywhere i can get a lower seat for it ? Since i am only 5 foot 6

thanks a lot

P.S: i know it make a lot of question but how do you find the fz1 overall for a second bike and 4 year experience ?

thanks

:welcome: to the forum.

As far as the making the rims black, I'd see if anyone wants to trade black rims ('06-'07) for the greenish gold of the '09. If not that route, I think power coating would be the best way.

I don't think you'll find many seats that will lower it much, but there are lowering links for the rear and the forks can be raised through the triple tree to even out the lowering. I know Cobalt (Eric) lowered an 07 for his wife several inches and it looks sweet. (also painted it purple with gold pearl). I'll have to search for that thread later. I don't have time at the moment.

I think 2010 and 2007 had all black models, but '09 was the gray/black combo like you described. I know many here have the full fairing kit, but I'm not sure where to find it. Someone will be able to help you with that, I'm sure.

Good Luck! The FZ1 is a great bike and can be modded to meet just about any use. I think you will like it.

EDIT:

Here is a YouTube video from Cobalt showing his wife's '07 lowered FZ1.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UBJ3g3ByEY"]2007 Yamaha FZ1 - Wife's new paint in Mystic Purple Mica Pearl - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Some people claim to have good luck using Plasti-Dip to paint various bike parts. I'm not sure how it would do on wheels, which tend to get a fair amount of abuse. Also, I would consider Plasti-Dip to be temporary -- great for seeing if you really like the look of the color, but for something permanent I'd recommend powder coating too.

The FZ1 is my second bike, and I'd make the purchase again in a heartbeat. To be honest, the power was shocking coming off a 750 Shadow, but it can be kept tame by not straying into the power band until you have a good handle on the bike itself.

thanks all for those answer, i will check how much it cost to lower it.

Otherwise if anybody know where i can buy and to wich price those 2 pièces it would be great !

Thanks

As far as being a fourth year rider, I think the bike will be just fine for you. An unmodded FZ1 is really two different bikes in the upper half and lower half of the rpm range. It's pretty forgiving under 6k. As far as being 5'6" and wanting to lower it, I would advise against it. I'm the exact same height as you and I don't have any problems. No, I don't sit flat footed at a stop light, but the bike is light enough anyway that I always just use one foot only, usually being my left. If I have both feet down, I'm able to get about half of my foot down to the ball of my foot, which is enough. Lowering the bike would cause ground clearance issues, especially with the stock pegs being fairly easy to scrape, and once you're used to the height, it feels completely normal.

As far as being a fourth year rider, I think the bike will be just fine for you. An unmodded FZ1 is really two different bikes in the upper half and lower half of the rpm range. It's pretty forgiving under 6k. As far as being 5'6" and wanting to lower it, I would advise against it. I'm the exact same height as you and I don't have any problems. No, I don't sit flat footed at a stop light, but the bike is light enough anyway that I always just use one foot only, usually being my left. If I have both feet down, I'm able to get about half of my foot down to the ball of my foot, which is enough. Lowering the bike would cause ground clearance issues, especially with the stock pegs being fairly easy to scrape, and once you're used to the height, it feels completely normal.

the problem is not that much the height i am good even if i am only on the tip of me fit but the problem is when i try to move back my legs jams in the peg they don't seems to want to close.

the problem is not that much the height i am good even if i am only on the tip of me fit but the problem is when i try to move back my legs jams in the peg they don't seems to want to close.

Well, in that case, you should take a look at the pegs. The stock pegs are spring loaded and fold. If they don't the spring could be jammed or something. I have the Vortex rearsets on mine which allow you to move the pegs back more, and my legs can extend straight down without hitting the pegs, but they don't fold.

Well, in that case, you should take a look at the pegs. The stock pegs are spring loaded and fold. If they don't the spring could be jammed or something. I have the Vortex rearsets on mine which allow you to move the pegs back more, and my legs can extend straight down without hitting the pegs, but they don't fold.

Well the one i tried was a brand new 2013 fz1 though it might be because de spring are too stiff so when my leg hit it the peg won't fold easily ?? They do fold but i need to put a lot of force in the movement wich is so unatural

Back