Mesh Jacket Comparison: Cycle Gear BILT Blazer vs Fieldsheer Congo

Recon Viper 1

I have a closet full of high end jackets that all purported to be "breathable" or had "ram air vents" but the ones that I have actually worn; and there are some still not worn, were very uncomfortable in the heat.

So........I bought a BILT Blazer mesh jacket at Cycle Gear, Austin, for $89.95 plus tax and that makes it $96-something. I've been wearing the Blaze a lot in these 100 degree temperatures because it is innocous and doesn't raise any attention from the local constabulary as I go about small town, around town business.

The "armor" is very lightweight and is an advertising point as it is very minimal and the back armor pad is just a sheet of foam rubber It's very basic, no frills, but appears well made and they provide a 5 year warranty. Not much more to tell you but I'll put in a link and you can check it out.

bilt_blaze_mesh-jacket_blk_MD.jpg

Cycle Gear - BILT: Blaze Mesh Motorcycle Jacket, BLACK

Then, I saw Fieldsheer Congo mesh jackets at Competition Accessories for $79.99 and ordered 1 there, with free shipping as I added gloves and a helmet lock. I've seen the list price posted from $169.99 to $189.99.

31yup2DWb5L._SS400_.jpg

Fieldsheer Congo Air Mesh Jacket

Ultra-Breathable fine weave abrasion resistant FS Polytitanium mesh
1680 Denier reinforced shoulder and elbow areas
Removable CE approved armor in shoulder and elbows and comfort pad in back
Reflective FS logo and piping on back
Waterproof zip out Rainblocker liner
Velcro Adjustable Carbolex Waist Straps
2 zippered front pockets, 2 inside cargo pockets, and 1 zippered map pocket
Elasticized stretch panels at back of shoulders and elbows for added mobility
Unique 4-step adjustable upper and lower sleeve volume control to secure Armor in place
8” zip pant connector plus universal belt snap
YKK front zip

The jacket is undersized, as noted in reports, and I ordered a 2XL where I would normally use a Large or XL, but it fits very well. It is much heavier in weight than the BILT and the armor is much, much more sturdy. Particularly the heavy multi-layer back armor. It's very well put together and the "purple" tint noted in some user reports has been very exaggerated. It looks "blue" to me although I can see some ultra-violet in the color in certain conditions and if I look for it.

So.....earlier this week, I got off early and headed home to beautiful downtown Pipe Creek, Texas in the 100+ heat and decided to ride up Thunder Valley Road to Boerne to pick up a few things. I took off the BILT Blaze and put on the Fieldsheer Congo. I noticed right away that the Fieldsheer was physically heavier and, when I put it on, I was very aware of the heavier back armor.

I'm just off TX Hwy 16 and it only takes a few minutes of low speed riding to get to the highway. Then, I'm at the stop sign and there's no traffic; so I turn right and head for Boerne. WAIT A MINUTE. I'M NAKED!!!

The increased ventilation is SO obvious that it's overwhelming. I just couldn't believe it! I rode to Boerne and back and a few rides since and I can tell you that there is no comparison whatsoever.

The Blaze is obviously constructed of mesh but the comparison ends there. The Blaze mesh sleeves are backed with fabric that defeats the purpose of the mesh and the jacket just doesn't flow air like the Fieldsheer does. Add to that the lower quality armor and there is no competition at all.

The old adage about getting what you paid for is correct but only so far as the MSRP's go as I paid less for the higher priced Fieldsheer than I did for the lower priced BILT Blaze.

The Blaze is going on Craigs List for $50 or, anyone so interested (?) can contact me here, though I don't know why you would want to.

I have a Fieldsheer Corsair 3-season jacket, the Congo mentioned, 2 different tank bags and a couple of pairs of gloves and I'm rapidly becoming convinced that they make superior products.

Back