Metzler Sporttec M3

While checking over my bike in preparation for a 1000 mile trip next weekend, I noticed my rear tire is closer to the end of it's life than the beginning. I wanted to get a second OE rear to burn up while I used up more of my front, but I couldn't get one in short order, so I was stuck for options. I had thought about putting Michelins on, and probably will eventually, but the price of the Metzler was very atractive. I figure I'll burn 2 rears off before the front starts to look worn, and then decide if I'm going to a Michelin or sticking with these.
I picked them because a friend of mine put them on his bike last year and really liked them. He said they're very grippy and responsive. To me, they seem like the best price for a quality agressive tire, and if I'm running an agressive tire, cost is a bit of a concern. I'm willing to drop a pile of dough on a nice tire that will last, but if I'm running grippy sport tires that will melt off anyway, saving a few bucks will add up in the end.
Anyway, I should have the tires on the bike Thursday. I'll have time for a quick boot after work to scrub them in, and then Friday after work it's off to QC, NH, VT, NY, and then home to Ontario. Should be a good test for them. I'll keep you posted on how they work for me.

M3's are good street tyres, similar to the Pilot Power for grip and life.
I think you will like them.

My next set of tyres are going to be the Bridgestone S20's.

Tires are on, have about 100km on them so far. Hard to tell much about them, so far pretty much back and forth to work, took the long (twisty) way home tonight but didn't push them real hard. They feel like they have a lot to give, though. Very stable feeling in turns, really crisp turn-in. Heading out tomorrow night after work for a 1000mi. weekend through Mt. Washington and Lake Placid. Will report in Monday when I get home.

Just got home, 1009 miles since Friday after work. Tires are great! Bike feels very balanced and very planted in corners. We did mostly 2 lane twisties, but about 350 miles freeway. Rear is starting to square off a bit, so I'll have to see how they last.

Well, after 6500km of riding, the rear is done. I am pretty satisfied overall with these tires. They perform well, and the grip didn't seem to degrade until about the last 500km of life. It's looking like a front will last at least 2 rears. Overall, I would recommend these tires for sure! I did everything except track them and they have worked well in all conditions. And they were about $75 less that Pilot Road II's, so no complaints here!

Back