Mid-Ohio this weekend!

The wife and I just came back from Lexington, OH to Corning, NY (360 miles).
It’s the first trip in the FZ1 and all I can say is “what a ride”, especially twhen he previous bike was a V Star 650.

Comfort wise, yehh... I missed the VStar a little bit because I can’t stretch my legs on the FZ1… but I have a mod in mind that will fix that. I also wished a little bit more wind protection; I have a National Cycle N27306 “tall” windshield, which does a decent job and doesn’t look bad at all, but it’s not perfect.

But the comfort part is overshadowed by power and handling!! I used to scratch the floorboards when riding two-up in the city… not anymore. And I used to be smoked by HD’s (among others) when taking a ramp or at stop light, and I used to go at full throttle on a steep hill… that’s history!

I bought the bike with a set of Givi quick release hard bags, and I added a small trunk to be used also as a back rest for her, so storage wasn’t an issue.

Fuel economy was also great! I averaged 42.5mpg doing 75 ~ 80mph, with a quite heavy load (about 360 Lbs total). So, refueling less than 5 gallons every 200 miles was piece of cake (my bike is an ’05 with 5.5 gal tank).

The weather was great, and on top of that Yamahas kick some butts at Mid-Ohio winning first place in GT1 (R6) and AMA-Superbike (R1), and second and third place in AMA Daytona Supersport (R6) on Saturday. And if that wasn’t enough, the R1’s finished 1st and 2nd on Sunday!!

It can’t get any better than that!

Last edited:
The wife and I just came back from Lexington, OH to Corning, NY (360 miles).
It’s the first trip in the FZ1 and all I can say is “what a ride”, especially twhen he previous bike was a V Star 650.

Comfort wise, yehh... I missed the VStar a little bit because I can’t stretch my legs on the FZ1… but I have a mod in mind that will fix that. I also wished a little bit more wind protection; I have a National Cycle N27306 “tall” windshield, which does a decent job and doesn’t look bad at all, but it’s not perfect.

But the comfort part is overshadowed by power and handling!! I used to scratch the floorboards when riding two-up in the city… not anymore. And I used to be smoked by HD’s (among others) when taking a ramp or at stop light, and I used to go at full throttle on a steep hill… that’s history!

I bought the bike with a set of Givi quick release hard bags, and I added a small trunk to be used also as a back rest for her, so storage wasn’t an issue.

Fuel economy was also great! I averaged 42.5mpg doing 75 ~ 80mph, with a quite heavy load (about 360 Lbs total). So, refueling less than 5 gallons every 200 miles was piece of cake (my bike is an ’05 with 5.5 gal tank).

The weather was great, and on top of that Yamahas kick some butts at Mid-Ohio winning first place in GT1 (R6) and AMA-Superbike (R1), and second and third place in AMA Daytona Supersport (R6) on Saturday. And if that wasn’t enough, the R1’s finished 1st and 2nd on Sunday!!

It can’t get any better than that!

Sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait until September. I have my three day pass for the AMA races down at New Jersey Motorsports Park. While I've been to quite a few Nascar races, I've yet to see a motorcycle race. I'm sure I'll walk away happy as a pig in slop!

By the way, you don't happen to have taken any pictures out there?? Hint,hint!

Back