mid pipe ?

I cut my holeshot pipe down from 14" to 10". I was thinking about makeing a flange to put the pipe rite after the header with no mid pipe. my question is are there any ill effects from not haveing the mid pipe? i am not looking for any gains i just think it will look good but if it will cause problems i wount do it. thanks in advance for any info.

I sure hope it gets louder. i dont think it was much louder than stock at 14" it does have a much better sound than stock. Dale now sales a 10" pipe when i got mine it was not a option. I just want to make sure puting it directly on the header will not cause problems with power. the bike will be geting a reflash on the ecu after i figure out what i am doing with the exaust.

I'd expect your idle to hunt and loss of torque in the lower part of the power band.

If you're taking it to the strip it may help a tiny bit on the top end. Given the relatively low state of tune of the FZ1, maybe not at all.

BTW...you'll love the reflash!

Think you will have any ground clearance issues on the street with the bike lowered ??

I'm interested to see how the ecu flash effects your times at the track.
Without the restrictions in the lower gears you should pick up a few 10ths !

10 inch.

0117122053.jpg

I bet that would be loud. I dont think i will have ground clerance issues but some of you twisty guys may. i will not be cutting my mid pipe i will have a new piece made to try it out and if i dont like it i can always go back. i am very excited about the reflash I will have the ecu out this weekend and send it out next week.

I bet that would be loud. I dont think i will have ground clerance issues but some of you twisty guys may. i will not be cutting my mid pipe i will have a new piece made to try it out and if i dont like it i can always go back. i am very excited about the reflash I will have the ecu out this weekend and send it out next week.

Cool! Let us know what you think. Wait I can tell you, 1st to 3rd is stunning, and the everything else is crisp and smooth as a baby's bottom. :p

The 10" is pretty loud I like it alot better. thanks Hellgate I do ride on the street so i dont think i want to give up power in midrange. I think i will be sending out monday to the tuner you used there are a couple closer but your guy has hands on exp with it. when i get it back the bike is going on Ryan Schnitz dyno just to make sure its all good or some fine tuneing. I wount be able to ride for awile its around 20 degrees here and the strip dont open till april.

i am not looking for any gains i just think it will look good but if it will cause problems i wount do it. thanks in advance for any info.

At the low end it will just be louder, because the ex-up valve is open very little. As the rpms raise the exup will be open and the short length may effect scavenging. The stock slip-on and mid pipe are tuned length for the engine and gives the best results in the stock form. My opinion.

At the low end it will just be louder, because the ex-up valve is open very little. As the rpms raise the exup will be open and the short length may effect scavenging. The stock slip-on and mid pipe are tuned length for the engine and gives the best results in the stock form. My opinion.

Some of what your saying may apply to a Gen I FZ1. The EXUP valve on the Gen II works differently and doesn't really do anything for performance one way or another.

I am confused, I dont have the exup valve with the Holeshot.

That's correct...your EXUP valve stayed attached to the pipe connected to the stock muffler. I have circled it yellow in the attached pic. Under that silver cover is where the cables that open and close the EXUP are connected.

attachment.php

Thank you from what Hellgate has said along with a few people i talked to i am leaning more towards keeping it on the mid pipe. I will still make the piece to do it and take it with me to the dyno and see the diff.

Thank you from what Hellgate has said along with a few people i talked to i am leaning more towards keeping it on the mid pipe. I will still make the piece to do it and take it with me to the dyno and see the diff.

When I had my Buell 1125R I installed a Free Spirits full exhaust. It was a short system, with low volume mufflers. We ended up coring them (removing the baffle) so we could get a good/accurate CO% reading on the dyno. Well we got it tuned, but the idle was terrible. It would hunt from about 900 rpm up to 1,800 all by itself.

Then I had a custom exhaust built for it. That was like a traditional Ducati or Aprillia exhaust; long runners, two large volume mufflers. With no other tuning it ran perfect. Massive torque, wound up fast, etc. The perfect motor.

When I see the R6 guys with "GP Muffler" eg: "Growler" it kills me. They are making their bikes run terrible for the sake of style.

Hellgate is correct, your bike will run like sh*t down low & top end will be ok. Somehow the exhaust needs the mid-pipe to be a certain length.

Back