Need Opinions Trouble with 05 FZ1

tsouth

I have a 05 Yamaha FZ1 with 25k miles on it. The bike runs great and if i drive it normal it runs flawlessly. However If i hammer on the throttle right after clicking into second or third gear the bike gets to about 3000 rpm and then cuts out for a second twice (lunge, lunge) then picks back up and continues to pull the rest of the rpm range. The bike only does this in second and third gear and when it happens i can here what sounds like a click/knock coming from the left side of the engine. I am new to these bikes (but not bikes in general) and i have tried searching but haven't come up with what im looking for.

Any help would be appreciated. I just bought this bike and didn't relies it did this until i had the bike for a couple days.

This is mysterious sounding stuff. More info would be helpful. Maybe drive it more and watch for other effects.

Not really enough to go on yet - but these bikes have some sensitive coils. Coils which go bad - but continue working - while giving erratic mysterious acting behavior - that many guys have puzzled over - before finally narrowing it down to bad coils. Something to keep in mind.

If you look at Ivan's dyno charts, (Ivan's Performance Products) you will find that the Gen 1 with stock jetting has absolutely nothing below 2700 RPM. Whacking the throttle open at less than 3,000 Rpm, even in low gear won't get you much - you have to roll it on instead of "whacking it". The problem is compounded in the higher gears. A properly installed jet kit cures this. It also gives you more power, much better throttle control from idle and much easier start and warmup. The lean jetting at low RPM is well documented on this forum and has spawned a cottage industry of fixes. There are several good jet kits available, Ivan's is just one of them. Dale Walker (Holeshot) is another, and RavenRider who posts on the FZ1OA forum, is another. All are most helpful and knowledgeable.

Ivan's home page: Ivan's Performance Products

Another very good source for information: Pat's Motorcycle Page

Welcome to the Forum. This stuff is fun.

Back