New Breed crash cage?

Oxide

I want to replace my frame sliders with something more substantial. I currently have a new set of T-rex sliders but want something with more support. I had a minor lowside with a prior set of sliders and found the puck unscrewed itself slightly and bent the bolt.

I will not be stunting, but any crash protection that is not a puck seem to be hard to find.

So my queation is will a '04-'08 R1 New Breed cage fit a gen 2?

https://www.newbreedstuntparts.com/product-page/04-08-yahama-r1-irx-4-crash-cage

Last edited:

Oxide

I have the SW Motech engine cage and I love it. Put some highway pegs on it for comfort as well.
How far do the SW-Motech's come out from the side? When I had the lowside I also bent the handlebars, so I was wanting something that came out further than the sliders (3 inches?).

I had looked at th SW's but didn't think they came out enough.

Anyone have experience with the R-Gaza's or CrazyIron cages?

Last edited:

niceast

Based on a person, I’ve talked with that went down.
Would also try to find fork sliders, engine case sliders, rear-pegs-to-sliders conversions, swing arm spools, lever guards, rear axle though slider.
Worth the protection now than replacement later.

dllm

I have the SW Motech engine cage and I love it. Put some highway pegs on it for comfort as well.
Can you post some more pictures of the bike with the crash bars? I am looking at getting some, but i can't find any pictures of the fz1 with it installed. Thanks

aus_andyk

I have the SW Motech bars, but not fitted.
My question is would a belly pan fit with the bars in place?
Cheers

Jboat

I have the SW Motech bars, but not fitted.
My question is would a belly pan fit with the bars in place?
Cheers
The Puig belly pan is probably the only one that will fit with crash bars. I was able to mount it up parallel to the lower bar by using a nut on the lowest mounting bolt that attaches to the hanger. If you get one you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I am considering slightly trimming the upper edge of the belly pan where it contacts the bar to get it to mount a little higher, for a better angle, but it works fine the way it is for now...

Here's a pic for reference...

dllm

Unfortunately I was able to test mine this past winter. The SW Motech cage took the brunt. The bar end was barely touched. Oh, I bent a peg too.
Do you like those grips on the FZ? I have had the same pair on every bike I have ever owned, and I'm thinking of putting them on the FZ as well.

aus_andyk

The Puig belly pan is probably the only one that will fit with crash bars. I was able to mount it up parallel to the lower bar by using a nut on the lowest mounting bolt that attaches to the hanger. If you get one you will see exactly what I'm talking about. I am considering slightly trimming the upper edge of the belly pan where it contacts the bar to get it to mount a little higher, for a better angle, but it works fine the way it is for now...

Here's a pic for reference...
Thx jboat. Nice bike btw.

I'll have to play with the belly pan that I have and the crash bars, plus I also want to add stainless headers, eliminating the cat, with the muffler just behind the belly pan.

Just finishing off a Triumph Tiger 800 build before I start the FZ1.

Will start a build post when I start....