New Modular Helmet Reviews Needed

I was hoping if people who have had experience with a few helmet choices can give feedback. I am looking at modulars but not entirely opposed to a full face setup.

I was interested in the

Shoei Neotec

Nolan N104

HJC Sy-Max III

Of course I want everything from it, low noise/weight/wind drag and good cooling with no fog

Only other thing is me and the guy at the shop I go to have figured out I'm a Long Oval, Intermediate Oval

My suggestion:

Narrow down your interests first. Try on every single model of helmet that applies to you, then narrow it down by researching it.

Fit and comfort is the absolute number one. Once you have a list of helmets that fit you perfectly, you can go from there

I always prioritise things. For helmets, I have 5 criteria from most to least important

1) Fit/comfort
2) Price/value
3) Features
4) Service/support
5) Looks

:cry: :wilynily:

BTW, I think this isn't really the right forum as it's not a review! Maybe a mod can move it if they agree

Last edited:
My suggestion:

Narrow down your interests first. Try on every single model of helmet that applies to you, then narrow it down by researching it.

Fit and comfort is the absolute number one. Once you have a list of helmets that fit you perfectly, you can go from there

I always prioritise things. For helmets, I have 5 criteria from most to least important

1) Fit/comfort
2) Price/value
3) Features
4) Service/support
5) Looks

:cry: :wilynily:

BTW, I think this isn't really the right forum as it's not a review! Maybe a mod can move it if they agree

Yeah, I didn't know where to put the thread and this seemed to be the best option.

Unfortunately the places to try on helmets around me is limited. And the fact that I need either an XL or XXL the shops have to order them.

I'm trying to avoid restocking fees, and shipping fees back and forth with someone like Revzilla

How far away from Phoenix are you actually located? There's tons of motorcycle dealers in Phoenix & Scottsdale!

I have visited dozens of shops (I like to visit local shops when I travel) and I have never once seen them have an absence of XL helmets on the shelves. XXL might be more difficult to find but I know I've seen plenty of those on shelves locally. Even our local guys have plenty of stock and brands on hand and we don't have nearly the motorcycle community ya'll do down in the desert :)

Last edited:
How far away from Phoenix are you actually located? There's tons of motorcycle dealers in Phoenix & Scottsdale!

I have visited dozens of shops (I like to visit local shops when I travel) and I have never once seen them have an absence of XL helmets on the shelves. XXL might be more difficult to find but I know I've seen plenty of those on shelves locally. Even our local guys have plenty of stock and brands on hand and we don't have nearly the motorcycle community ya'll do down in the desert :)

I live in Scottsdale. Apache Motorcycle is about 1.5 miles away, I've tried on everything in an XL (Shoei RF-1100, Arai Signet Q, Fly-enduro). The only XXL they had, I bought a CL-Max II (that saved my life in my wreck).

Western Honda is about 3 miles away and I may try to go there tomorrow morning.

A new place just opened it looks like to GP Helmets. I may check them out on the way to Western Honda, but again it looks to be mostly Arai.

I dunno, I'm thinking after my XXL CL-MaxII had gotten loose so quick that I'd be better off getting an XL in whatever and breaking it in (I hope).

The problem is most of these places have a lot of S, M, and L lids. They also have a lot of low quality/tech lids like HJC and GMax.

After getting a concussion from the last wreck, I'm starting to believe the $100 helmet for $100 head addage. Well, I have over a quarter million dollars worth of information stored up in my head, at least that is how much I paid the schools I went to for it.

Definitely shop around. A good shop is worth it's weight in gold. If your existing helmet was too loose after only a couple weeks, I don't think it was the right size to begin with. Go to other shops and get them to fit you and see if you notice a difference. Unfortunately, not every guy that works at a motorcycle shop is an expert with fitting helmets. They should be!

To give you an example, my current Scorpion EXO-500 was $170, has ~25,000 miles and still fits as well as it did when new. A good fit fits well always!

Last edited:
Definitely shop around. A good shop is worth it's weight in gold. If your existing helmet was too loose after only a couple weeks, I don't think it was the right size to begin with. Go to other shops and get them to fit you and see if you notice a difference. Unfortunately, not every guy that works at a motorcycle shop is an expert with fitting helmets. They should be!

To give you an example, my current Scorpion EXO-500 was $170, has ~25,000 miles and still fits as well as it did when new. A good fit fits well always!

I really like the guys at Apache, they've helped me quite a bit. One of the parts guys is a lot more helpful than the other. I could probably get them to order 2 or 3 helmets for me but I just feel bad doing it.

Back