new to the fz1 fam

I never even knew about the cult family this bike has. I went to a bike night in College Station yesterday and there were several people who came up and welcomed me to the family. I learned a couple of things, such as this forum being great, and some guy that does an ECU flash, to fix some issues like the choppy throttle at low speeds. What are some good things I should know about the bike?
I picked mine up on Saturday, from a Yamaha dealer in Irving, Tx, near Dallas. It's been down on the left side, and has a dent in the tank from a clipon, as well as a scraped away bolt head on the crank case cover (not sure if that's what it is. this is my first L4 engine'd bike)
iuhiougioug.png
i'm mostly going to be using the bike as a commuter, with some weekend rides. so far no big issues with the bike. i'm loving it!
IMG_20180915_170808-EFFECTS-EFFECTS.jpg
I'd like to get a fairly rugged luggage rack for the back that could hold about 60lbs or so. I want to be able to carry my electric mini bike for the weekly races.
41938680_2159146900762610_5409713318803800064_n.jpg

Welcome,

there are lots of things you can do to improve the bike.

The stock suspension is ordinary, a lot of guys get an R1 rear shock and an adapter from Satan on the other FZ1 forum and replace the front springs and valver or buy R1 forks to improve this.
Ivan and others do a ECU flash that removes the snatchiness, removes restrictions in lower gears and adjusts a few other things suchg as butterfly opening times, cooling fan operating temps etc.
hopefully it has fresh rubber on it, the stock tires are terrible.

This bike is completely customizeable. have a look at the signature of members on here and you can see what people have done to their bikes.

but be warned, once you start to modify it, it will become an addiction that it hard to stop!

and enjoy the naked, they're the best FZ1s!!

aw hell yeah, nakeds are great! i think this is basically the bike i started trying to build about a year ago. it was a naked 5th gen vfr, and it was pretty nice, but extremely temperamental.
i've probably put around 300 miles on it since i got it on saturday, and it's been great. i have some taller bars, grips, and bar end mirrors on the way. the bike came with a puig windscreen that i'm going to put back on once i fix it. it suffered a bad impact with a rock or something. i'm going to fill the cracked area and hole with epoxy.

i have gotten a lot of feedback that the fz1 is an addiction, and i get that. i'm hoping that i can at least stick with this bike for a while, and make the impact of the addiction lessened.

There are a number of A&M students that have FZ’s in College Station. I know them and they are very knowledgable. I host rides every weekend and we have a few FZ’s in our group also. Join us sometimes if you need help with riding techniques we have a number of members that are happy to help. I live in Brenham about an hour from you.

definitely. i'm hoping i can get out there for some group rides sometime soon.
i have some taller bars, grips, and convex bar end mirrors on their way. hopefully all arriving tonight. that should improve the comfort even more.

oh yeah, and guys, i have a gytr slip on, and would like to swap back to a stock muffler. anyone have a stock slipon that they'd like to trade for $150? my gytr is in good shape. no scratches that i have noticed, and it sounds nice... just way louder than i want.

definitely. i'm hoping i can get out there for some group rides sometime soon.
i have some taller bars, grips, and convex bar end mirrors on their way. hopefully all arriving tonight. that should improve the comfort even more.

We are having a big meet Sunday called Cycle Bash III... look for the thread on MH...im having a ride to the meet that i have posted also.

If you are looking to start down the modding side, I have a power commander v from my old bike (RIP) that is brand new never installed. I am looking for $300 for it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club. It's a great bike, mine is an 08 that I just got. I immediately did the airbox mod, plugged the AIS off, K&N filter and sent my ECU to Vcyclenut to flash it. Huge difference after the flash as he is able to bypass a lot of the other emissions garbage. I had an erratic Speedo and found some very corroded connectors on the left leg side inside the fairing that letting them soak in Dr. Pepper over night fixed that. Problem was the speed sensor though. The corroded connectors are common with our bikes. Also, the magneto is also probe to fail. Mine was dead when I bought it. Magnets fall off and sit in your oil pan. Yamaha has an updated magneto where the magnets are encased in a drum so they'll never come apart again. It's pricey but I don't want to do all this again.

Back