Newfoundland's Beautiful Southwest Coast

GraniteGray

I had an interesting five days of touring around the fabulous Southwest Coast of Newfoundland, this week. I started out with a solo ride from as far east to west as you can go, and in one big gulp. That was a 924 km stretch from St. John's to Cape Anguille. I left at 8:30 AM, and arrived at 5:45 PM. I had the unique and very enjoyable experience of booking into the Cape Anguille Lighthouse Inn, for two nights, while I was down there.

On day two I headed southward through Port aux Basques, and to the end of the road at Rose Blanche, and then back to Cape Anguille for the night. My new official favorite motorcycle road, in the entire province, is the road between Port aux Port Basques and Rose Blanche (Route 470). Nothing comes close. Not even the Cape Shore loop, Trout River, or the road through Gros Morne National Park. The 470 is pure roller-coaster insanity, for miles and miles, and there's only one or two really bad patches of pavement. If you own a bike, don't screw around, just make a plan and go ride that road!

I had beautiful warm and sunny weather for all of day one and two, thanks to my last minute plan to chase the fine weather, and to leave to take this trip a few days early.

On day three I headed up to Robinson's, to rendezvous with my lovely lady 'Renee'. She drove west to hang out with me in a little cottage we had rented there, for a couple of nights. Man cannot live with just a motorcycle alone, afterall!

On day four the weather was sunny periods with showers, so we took Renee's car for a scoot out the Port au Port Peninsula. I figured since Jon and Andrew were planning to come over here and sneak around the East Coast for a few days, I'd play the same game, and go sneak around in their backyard for awhile. Sorry I didn't seek you two out in Stephenville, guys, but we were racing the setting sun to get back to Robinson's, when we went through there.

On day five it was time to ride back across the island, but this time it would be in the rain for most of the trip. Not a whole lot of joy in it, I assure you.

Total trip distance door to door for me was 2,152 kms (1,400 miles).

Here's a bunch of photos and descriptions...

The Cape Anguille lighthouse, at the most westerly point on the Island of Newfoundland...
LighthouseCapeAnguille.jpg

SouthwestCoast19.jpg

SouthwestCoast11.jpg

The Cape Anguille Lighthouse Inn, and my very comfortable bed for two nights. They renovated two of the original light-keepers buildings, to create the inn. And these accomodations come highly recommended by me. I honestly think it's the best place I have ever stayed on the island. Really bright, comfortable, and clean...
SouthwestCoast01.jpg

SouthwestCoast06.jpg

I ran into another grizzly old adventure rider while on my trip, too. What are the chances, considering the size of the Island of Newfoundland, that while I was exploring some out of the way backroad, that I'd run into another guy I have ridden with before, while he was out exploring a West Coast segment of the old railbed?! I stopped at a tiny grocery store in a little crossroads village called St. Fintan's, and there was TREE's DR650 parked out front...

SouthwestCoast12.jpg

The Harbour Point lighthouse, near St. George's...
LighthouseCapeStGeorge.jpg

A stunning sunset, as seen from Cape Anguille...
SouthwestCoast02.jpg

The Cape Ray lighthouse...
LighthouseCapeRay.jpg

A gigantic piece of driftwood, on the beach at Codroy Valley Provincial Park...
SouthwestCoast05.jpg

The Long Range Mountains...
SouthwestCoast04.jpg

SouthwestCoast03.jpg

The hidden waterfall, on the Port au Port Peninsula...
SouthwestCoast16.jpg

Another beautiful rock formation and waterfall, on the Port au Port Peninsula...

SouthwestCoast13.jpg

Renee enjoying her first trip to the Port au Port Peninsula...
SouthwestCoast22.jpg

SouthwestCoast14.jpg

The Rose Blanche lighthouse...
LighthouseRoseBlanche.jpg

Totally Zen, man...
SouthwestCoast21.jpg

Last edited:
Was that your first long trip?

It was my first multiday trip on the FZ1, which I bought this year. Just one of many long trips on other bikes, however. I had a 650 V-Strom, before the FZ1, and I put 20,000 miles on that bike, in two seasons.

Nice pictures. Seems you had a very nice ride out! Only I'd wish I could get my bike on a plain to go and explore your backyard, and the others' on the US...:stunta]:

As a fellow fz1 owner from the rock great pictures. Our riding season is too short but then again we can always snowmobile in the winter months.

Just a few more random shots from my big solo ride of the summer...

Sheaves Cove waterfall...
SouthwestCoast23.jpg

Cape Anguille...
SouthwestCoast24.jpg

Near Wreckhouse...
SouthwestCoast29.jpg

Single-lane wooden bridge across the sandbar at Codroy Valley Provincial Park...
SouthwestCoast28.jpg

Back