Ninja 1000, Monster 1200 "safety" stuff

lindy

2014 Ninja 1000 or 2014 Ducati Monster 1200 - Thoughts?
Both these bikes have a bunch of the new electronics on them, Ninja has ABS, traction control, and power levels. The Ducati had ABS, traction control, power levels integrating traction control and ABS, and a slipper clutch!

These motorcycles seems like great deals from a control - safety point of view. If the once in a life-time bad thing occurs and the electronic system saves you - it seems worth much more than every penny These are sport type rather than the big tourers - and, heck, the Z1000 shares the Ninja stuff, too, so it's included. Not much more than FZ1 new price - for the Ninja - when considering new prices and what you are getting for that additional cost. The Ducati is is a little more - but that is usual. But it also has more modes and slipper clutch!
Even seems like these motorcycles might be more desirable as they age a little - get into the used market - maybe holding their prices somewhat higher.

What do you guys think? Good stuff? Worth the price? Which is better?

Last edited:
Both are very nice bikes but I'd lean towards the Duck purely for the noise and wank factor. I am a bit partial to the new Monster.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The Kwaka may have more electronics. But have a close look at the finish and quality of the parts. They look good from a distance but I was less impressed when I started to have a close look at the bike.

I almost quit riding after owning a monster, that pile spent more time broken than running. Also they require a LOT or specialty tools that cost a fortune.
They have definitely come a long way, 3 years ago when I looked at the monster 1200 it was pretty disappointing for a 1200. They've seriously upped their maintenance intervals too. However there isn't a lot for aftermarket for Ducati and parts have to be hand built in Italy... (they take forever to get.)

Sure they sound good, but that's about it.

Last edited:
If I was in the market for a new bike and already owned an FZ-1, the best compromise would be a Kawasaki ZX-14. I see new 2013 leftovers from $11.5k to $12.6k OTD.

That is a lot of bike for the $.

I almost quit riding after owning a monster, that pile spent more time broken than running. Also they require a LOT or specialty tools that cost a fortune.
They have definitely come a long way, 3 years ago when I looked at the monster 1200 it was pretty disappointing for a 1200. They've seriously upped their maintenance intervals too. However there isn't a lot for aftermarket for Ducati and parts have to be hand built in Italy... (they take forever to get.)

Sure they sound good, but that's about it.

I wonder what the age of your was. The company reports much improved quality - valve checks much longer. Are recent Ducati's - meaning last 2-3 years - really better quality? Anybody with experience with those?

They have the looks and the sound!

If I was in the market for a new bike and already owned an FZ-1, the best compromise would be a Kawasaki ZX-14. I see new 2013 leftovers from $11.5k to $12.6k OTD.

That is a lot of bike for the $.

You can't get much more bike than that - most would agree!!

I wonder what the age of your was. The company reports much improved quality - valve checks much longer. Are recent Ducati's - meaning last 2-3 years - really better quality? Anybody with experience with those?

They have the looks and the sound!

Dragging back up an old thread. Mine was an 01 I bought it in 08 and sold it 3 years later...
Check out Ducati.ms those guys will know the info you want.

Back