NorCal Highway 36, 96, 299 and 101 - September 8-11

Dustin

Weather depending, I'm heading south to get some good riding in before I run out of sunshine & nice days off.

I'm going to leave home on Sunday, September 8 and be home Wednesday September 11.

Here's the route and here's the plan:

Sunday, September 8: Boring slab day from home to Grants Pass.
Monday, September 9: Highway 199 to Happy Camp via Greybeck Rd. 96 east to Scott River Rd and south on 3 to 96 & Red Bluff
Tuesday, September 10: Highway 36 to the coast and back up north via 101 to Roseburg, OR
Wednesday, September 11: Slab boredom home!

If anyone wants to join me for the two fun days, feel free to message me!

Last edited:
I adjusted my route based on 3B43's and your suggestions, Doug

Looks great and it will be nice to do 3 which I haven't done before. Everyone says 299 is a heat score and I guess I won't bother doing it. :yes:

I will do that Lost Coast Rd another time, though. :)

Lost Coast: I ran it last week, with my MTS sent in 'enduro' mode.....and it still beat the crap out of me! Some of it is scenic, but....no thanks.

199 to 96, via the mnt route/Happy Camp is great. 96 to Willow Creek and then 299 to Weaverville and then 3 to 36 and on into Red Bluff. Once your off the mountain on 3 and headin to Red Bluff, stay close to the spd limit (55)....CHP can patrol the section.....this is about 20 miles from Red Bluff.

have you thought of taking a ferry from Victoria island to port angeles wa and riding 101 down all the way? much less freeway crap, and some amazing scenary

Lost Coast: I ran it last week, with my MTS sent in 'enduro' mode.....and it still beat the crap out of me! Some of it is scenic, but....no thanks.

Been on it with the FZ1, FJR and it is a bit bumpy. The KTM Supermoto says -what bumps? Sort of.....
I was on it back in May riding south to north. The section from the coast to Fortuna had fog and 50 mph gusts on the ridge tops. That was a bit wild.

have you thought of taking a ferry from Victoria island to port angeles wa and riding 101 down all the way? much less freeway crap, and some amazing scenary

I've done that road but it's really slow and really boring. I only have four days off a week so I've got to do the good old I5

Dude! Your killin me...:drools::drools::drools::drools:

Alright, since I cant join you, I will bless you and bestow good tidings upon you and your riders.:angel:

Would love to join you, but just did 3 four day weekend trips(in a cage). Employer would kill me. I am hosting family birthdays BBQ on the 8th, then work. Other than I-5 it looks like a fun route. Ride safe and alert.

Back