Not confident yet....

Well I'v had the Fz a couple weeks now, its still January, the roads are cold and the bike unframiliar to me. Prior to having the FZ1, I had a Buell Cyclone. It had the usual hopups done to it of course, and for a Buell it was quick, much quicker than stock. The thing about the Buell was that the seating was much like the FZ1 in that it was fairly upright and took a different approach than the full-on sportbike in riding style. One thing of majior difference is the comparative wheelbase numbers. This FZ has to be, or at least feels to be...3-4 inches longer. Along with much more rake on the front fork. These kicked out forks on the FZ require a completly different riding style. On the Buell, you simply put more weight over the tank, and just leaned further, let the bike work for you. It was always about if you were coming in too hot, to give the front brakes a little modulation, scrubb off some speed, and if that wasn't enough, lean that puppy in more. That is leaning in more (past scary). The Fz is so different, it's like an ocean liner with a big motor. The rake is not yet confidence inspireing, though I read of different members here scrubbing parts off on a regular basis, I just dont feel it yet. I have Michelin pilot's, their ct II's, but still theres always the feeling like its at its limits, and I'm just weenieing around, nothing noteworthy. I suppose as the weather progresses to warmer months, the confidence in the tires will increase. It will take time till I feel like I can tame this bike, but with this kind of horspower and speed, it will take some forethouhght to conquer.

In time, you'll get more comfortable...

you've been saying Pilot 2CT's in several spots on the forum.. we talking Pilot Road 2's or Pilot Power 2CT's? There's a BIG difference in the two...

Did you change the height of the front forks yet?? If not... do it. It'll help a good bit... Have you set your static sag and rider sag?? If not... do it.... Get everything properly set up first... that'll help you build confidence in your riding and make you feel better on the bike.

Yeah, this bike demands some hanging off, at least a little, in combination with a counter steering flick. Wants hanging off before the flick, then flick, apply throttle, (not really necessary to whack it) and remember to look up the line to the horizon.

FZ1 is a little over one inch longer than the r1 and rake is about 1 degree more than r1, but some buels are WAY shorter with a rake of like 21/22, like a gp bike.

This is why, I suspect, you are not dialing into the FZ1 quickly. Tells me that you ride a lot. That is good.

The good about our bike is that it doesn't need a damper, in my opinion. I know r1 guys buy dampers, but I doubt they really need one, either. But don't know for sure as I've not put a whole lotta time on the r1.

Also, for me, this bike like forks stiff and the hyperpro shock, although the stock shock was that bad in my opinion.

Never ridden the Buell Cyclone, however did note it's wheel base is 2.5 inches shorter than the FZ1-55 VS 57.5. One should expect the FZ1 to be a more stable bike with slower steering. (Cyclone's rake is reported at 24.5 while Fz1's is 25.) I imagine the riding experience is quiet different-with the Cyclone topping out at 110 mph, but with a strong low end. The FZ1 loves the high reves and tops out at 150+. Just wondering if you took a look at the Triumph Speed Triple? It probably rides more like the Cyclone: Wheel base is 54.9 and rake is 24.3.
Edit: Didn't realize you're riding a Gen 1. Numbers above are for the Gen II. My bad.

Last edited:
The old Buell's could be a lot of fun because they had all the torque of the sporty engines but they also lacked the upper end of the in-line fours and if you push the FZ1 as hard as you had to push the Buell, you find that it's top-end will go WAY beyond what the Buell had to offer and it'll get there a lot quicker as well.

I am also coming from a Buell (XB12Ss) and describe the riding experience exactly the same. Get up over the bars and it felt very planted and you could ALWAYS lean more if necessary. I don't have an FZ1 at this time but am hoping to put money down on one tomorrow at lunch with a purchase when I get my tax return. Plese keep this thread going as you figure out how to amke the FZ1 turn as I am very interested. I have looked on line at the Triumph Speed Tripple but the passenger accomadations look poor and more importantly, the nearest dealer is 3 hours away. I have two Yamaha dealers within 10 miles of the house. Thanks for the detailed input on the riding style differences you have found so far.

Zen on gen2

gohot229 I see riding any "new" bike as an exercize of friendship to a new personalilty. One thing I've learned about the FZ1- is at it's heart it is much like a mature stallion. It is always surefooted and confidence inspiring. It is stable and knowing. It never seems to get you in over your head. Yet, if you wanna get on with the show,, If you lean on it -it will rise to the challenge. You need power? Dial the tach up over 9000 and soon the front end will lighten up. A true beast at heart. It has a closing speed that is breath-taking. If you're out canyon-carving the bike Seems to be reluctant to dive in and snap out of turns, but I recognize the Bike is simply not going to get a mind of it's own, it is allowing you to take the lead and push it where you want to go- all the while giving a steady base of control for the rider to direct the action. Counter-steer into the turns and you are off to the races! Get up on the saddle, and you ease right back up and out. Braking is solid. Under pressure the front gently dips and correspondingly the rear will slowly rotate- allowing the back tire to dig in, just before it lifts off, balancing more force back onto the front which seems to bite in even harder. Speed is brushed off rapidly. Even under lockup the whole chassis never bucks or shimmys. As you ease off the reigns, the rear comes back to rest totally in control. OK I'm biased, I've never ridden a BUELL and my rant adds little in the way of technical comparison, I just like the way the FZ1 lets you lead it. It has a trustfull personality. It does instill confidence, just ride and trust.

Excelent discription, and I felt the passion in it. Now with a new tire for the front to be here any day, I should get more front end 'feel' thus more confidence. We ae starting to blend into one unit.

I can kinda relate because I'm used to Pilot Powers and my FZ came with Duncrap D221's. They feel like rocks and take forever to warm up. I have been very cautious as a result and the riding stance is completely different from my last bike...a ZX10R. All I can say is lean forward...as far as you can. You have to fold your arms in and look like Spies with these wide bars but you can still get your weight forward by leaning way far forward. I'm resting my knees on my R&G Sliders when I'm leaning way over...it's a great place to put your knees to make sure your weight is far forward. I did the same thing on my 10...worked like a charm. Try that and see what it feels like...report back.

Back