Oberon bar-end indicators on FZ1 GenII

EISTO

G'day to all of you

Thought I'd share the creative result of several hours worth of Hate when trying to mount a set of Oberon bar-end indicators on my bike. It was supposed to be easy but Sod's Law quickly came into play. There are 3 main obstacles to mounting the indicators with the expanders included in the package:

1) The FZ1 handlebar has an M16 x 1.5mm internal thread for mounting the original bar-end weights. This thread effectively cuts down the inner handlebar diameter to just over 14mm

2) For some insane reason the handlebar is slightly shorter than it should be, meaning that both grips (as well as the plastic tube of the throttle handle) extend around 1cm outside the handlebar opening.

3) The Oberon indicators -although beautiful to look at- have the least robust and most over-engineered expander solution I've ever seen. It will simply not fit the FZ1 handlebar.

Consequently, you will have to find your own solution. Here's one that worked for me:

With reference to the attached "exploded" drawing of the Oberon indicators, throw away parts #5 & #7, at least figuratively. Part #3 will have to be modified slightly: Mount it in a vice and use a hacksaw to cut of around 5-7mm of the narrow end.
Next, get hold of 2 pieces of metal tube around 25mm long, they should be as long as possible given the design limitations (see attached schematic drawing of final result). Ideally, the pipe should be 14mm in diameter, but diameters down to 12mm will probably work.
Use the hacksaw to cut both these metal tubes in half diagonally. File the cut faces smooth, they should be able to slide against each other easily.
Next, take a couple of M8 nuts and file all six corners slightly. This is necessary in order for the nuts to fit inside the handlebars.
Now, mount the whole thing together with part #3 and #4. Throw in a washer at the indicator end. See attached schematic drawing.

By now, you probably see where I'm going with this. When this assembly is inserted into the handlebar and the screw (part #4) is tightened, the two pipe halves will shift sideways relative to each other and press against the inner wall of the handlebar. The more oblique you make the cut the more powerful the effect.

But, before you try mounting the indicators, take some electricians tape and wind around the assembled nut/washer/tube. This will prevent the nut from rotating when you tighten the screw. Ideally there should be enough tape for the nut to "get stuck" inside the handlebar, then you're guaranteed success. Insert into handlebar, tighten the screw...and you're done.

I'll post a couple of pictures soon.

Greetings from Oslo, Norway

Einar

Last edited:
Thanks, Jared. Yes they are good-looking aren't they. I will take some pictures on Saturday, the bike is in Halden (80 miles from Oslo) where I've got the tools and facilities to work on it.

Einar

Back