Oil leak from... Now with updated pic!!!

Doc Samson

here -

IMG_2613.jpg

What is that? Leak is very minor, with only a drop or two every 500 miles, so not an emergency, but would like to have an idea of what I'm getting into when I take out those two bolts! Thinking it'll be an O-ring and/or gasket...

Found out what that is (oil level gauge!) and that the leak is not from there. Thought it might be the backside of the pan gasket but, upon further research, found that it is more likely the oil/water pump assembly as it is a known problem. Not looking forward to that... :(

I wouldn't be looking forward to it either. How many miles on the bike?

So, I've had to clean the area a couple of times because I kept missing some areas and kept getting oil film from chain "fling off" (I hope!) that made it difficult to tell what the heck is going on. Going to ride it gently for a few days and take another look over the weekend...

Bike had 8,600 or so on it when I bought it last June. Currently closing in on 15,000...

Found the leak! It's that small recessed area behind the O2 sensor and over the exhaust. Anyone have an idea of why that area is recessed and what I can expect? :) Going to drop the headers this evening to see if I can see...

IMG_2650.jpg

Went ahead and dropped the whole exhaust and found this -

IMG_2663.jpg

Couldn't really tell what was going on there with my poor close up vision, so ran an allen wrench up thinking maybe a bolt could be tightened. Surprised to find the wrench went up into the hole a couple of inches, so... no bolt! Any ideas are welcome, 'cause I'm stumped! Only thing I can think of is an oil overflow tube?

Well, who would have thought that eBay would outdo the parts diagram! Found this interior pic but still don't have any idea of what I'm looking at! Lol.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Any help is much appreciated!

Is that the oil level sensor? The only things I see in the exploded view or the service manual that bolts into the oil pan (other than the bolts to hold the pan of course) is the drain plug and the oil level sensor.

Is that the oil level sensor? The only things I see in the exploded view or the service manual that bolts into the oil pan (other than the bolts to hold the pan of course) is the drain plug and the oil level sensor.

No, the oil level sensor is where I initially thought it was coming from and circled it in my first pic.

Got this reply pic from a member over on my other moto forum. He's sure it's one or both of the O-rings on the #7 pipe. Seems easy enough... 😬

1682292720451.png

Thanks for checking in! I'll update when I get time to work on it again!

Ok, cool. Yes, that is the diagram I was looking at in the service manual. Didn't look at your pictures closely enough to get the orientation correct I guess. Good luck!

The dealer shop gave me a rough estimate of 4.5 hours but I know they almost always do everything "by the book"...

Seems that a lot of folks mention that the clutch pack doesn't really need to come out in most cases, so I'm hoping one of my independent shops would be willing to skip that step if possible.

Hate these jobs where the "fix" is a low cost part that I could likely take care of, but the cost of getting to it is $$$. I'd try it myself if I had someone willing to "mentor" me through it but tackling it by myself would have me regretting it in short order...

I understand. From reading about peoples experience doing the job it seems to be one that takes practice given that many had to go back in to correct some issue like getting the drain tube inserted correctly.

I think I may have the same thing going on with mine. I had thought the couple of oil drops were from not getting things wiped down sufficiently after an oil change but that does not seem to be the case unfortunately.

I understand. From reading about peoples experience doing the job it seems to be one that takes practice given that many had to go back in to correct some issue like getting the drain tube inserted correctly.

I think I may have the same thing going on with mine. I had thought the couple of oil drops were from not getting things wiped down sufficiently after an oil change but that does not seem to be the case unfortunately.

Yeah, if I had a lift and second set of eyes, I'd be much more inclined...

If so, how far are you from Winchester, VA? 🤣 We could tag team the bikes!

I would definitely do that but I'm nearly 1400 miles away in Fort Worth, TX. It is maddening that an $8 part and at such low mileage is causing us such an issue!

Back