Oil leak help ----- Newbie

I just bought my 2001 FZ1 about a month ago for a fairly cheap price. It has high mileage as well. I started to notice small drops of oil on the ground when I parked it in my garage. I took off the chain cover and this is what I see.

23620641619_e78edb60b8_k.jpg

23880248842_cc26c36f96_k.jpg

23988501205_99d79bdf14_k.jpg

Bottom

Any advice will be helpful since I know nothing about motorcycles.

It could be:
1. Accumulation from a previous owner that never cleaned anything.
2. A counter shaft that is leaking
3. A shift shaft seal that is leaking.

First thing to do is clean the area real well. Get some brake cleaner, paper towels and a toothbrush to do a proper job. If you can get behind the front sprocket, all the better. When putting the front sprocket back on remember to bend over the locking tab after you have torqued the front sprocket on.

Go ride for a few hours and then try to determine if it is a leak or just accumulated crud.

It could be:
1. Accumulation from a previous owner that never cleaned anything.
2. A counter shaft that is leaking
3. A shift shaft seal that is leaking.

First thing to do is clean the area real well. Get some brake cleaner, paper towels and a toothbrush to do a proper job. If you can get behind the front sprocket, all the better. When putting the front sprocket back on remember to bend over the locking tab after you have torqued the front sprocket on.

Go ride for a few hours and then try to determine if it is a leak or just accumulated crud.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will clean that area pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback. Is it really easy to replace that gasket?

Yep, very easy. If you have the sprocket cover off you're already half way there. Just pop the shifter arm off (great time to upgrade to the r1 shifter arm) and remove the bolts holding the cover on. It might be a little stubborn, but it should pop off with no issues. But judging from your pics, I would say thats your issue.

Back