Oil Pressure Loss / Suspension Vibration

FZ1fun

Two issues with the bike. I have a 2001 that has been jetted per VArider's thread, yoshi slip on, and airbox mod. Except for those items the bike is stock with some minor cosmetic changes. I also performed the vaccum port crossover connecting port one to 4 and port 2 to 3. I disconnected the ais from port 4 to do this mod.

I just started to notice excess vibration coming from the bike. When I accelerate from 4 up to about 8000 rpms the bike rattles the front fairing and I can feel the vibration through my seat. The bike seems to run fine and I've performed a carb sync recently. It seems to vibrate more after the carb sync. I'm getting ready to retorque all my motor mounts but I was wondering if those front bushings are supposed to be see through? Is there a way to replace those bushings without replacing the whole $265 mount for the front? Or am I completly of about how that thing is connected.

Secondly I recently went on a long ride, about 250 mile, when I left my oil level was just above the site glass. When I got back it had dropped to the full dot. With the oil level here my oil light comes on in hard acceleration but the thing that bothers me is the other day I had it running for 5 minutes then I hopped on to go to work and within 5 minutes the light had come on. I didn't accelerate hard at all barely even cruising speed. Any diagnosis is greatly appreciated.

Hey Fun, Just let us know first if you have seen any oil on the floor while the bike is parked? Or maybe you've smelled oil while running or seen it smoking from the exhaust? Lastly, how long did you wait before checking the sight glass when you noticed the level down one dot?

If you haven't seen oil on the floor, smelled oil while riding, or have seen any oil burning through the exhaust, I would just add an ounce or two of fresh oil to the crankcase. I know that when I do an oil change, even though I put the exact specified amount of oil, my light has sometimes gone on when initially starting the bike. I learned to add just an ounce or two and that solved the problem. I haven't had a light go on since. Reading the sight glass has it's issues. Is the bike on the centerstand?, is the ground you have the bike on perfectly level? All you need is the bike slightly off level and that could mean the difference between having too much oil or not enough. These motors have pretty tight tolerances so if the bike has been maintained properly, and it's running good, it may just need a tiny bit more oil. One extra ounce will not hurt it.

As for the vibration between 4k and 8k, have you checked your sprockets and chain? Make sure that they are within spec and that your sprockets are not worn. You wouldn't believe how noisy a bike can get when the chain is out of adjustment. Just some things to check first.

Hey Fun, Just let us know first if you have seen any oil on the floor while the bike is parked? Or maybe you've smelled oil while running or seen it smoking from the exhaust? Lastly, how long did you wait before checking the sight glass when you noticed the level down one dot?

If you haven't seen oil on the floor, smelled oil while riding, or have seen any oil burning through the exhaust, I would just add an ounce or two of fresh oil to the crankcase. I know that when I do an oil change, even though I put the exact specified amount of oil, my light has sometimes gone on when initially starting the bike. I learned to add just an ounce or two and that solved the problem. I haven't had a light go on since. Reading the sight glass has it's issues. Is the bike on the centerstand?, is the ground you have the bike on perfectly level? All you need is the bike slightly off level and that could mean the difference between having too much oil or not enough. These motors have pretty tight tolerances so if the bike has been maintained properly, and it's running good, it may just need a tiny bit more oil. One extra ounce will not hurt it.

There is NO oil on the ground anywhere around where I park the bike. I've never seen any smoke coming from the bike and I don't smell anything unusaul but that doesn't mean I couldn't have missed it. The oil was above the glass when I left and at the dot the next day when I went out to clean up the bike.

Thanks FZ1riderNY and that all makes sense. I always try to check the level on a level surface off the center stand.

The thing that I worry about is how do I know if I'm burning oil? It's obviously not leaking from anywhere and my level is much lower then when I had left so the oil must have burned. So do I have a serious problem or is there a chance I just overfilled and the oil had to go somwhere? I haven't noticed a lose yet I guess I just have to fill and monitor the level for a while.

As for the vibration between 4k and 8k, have you checked your sprockets and chain? Make sure that they are within spec and that your sprockets are not worn. You wouldn't believe how noisy a bike can get when the chain is out of adjustment. Just some things to check first.

My chain and sprockets are worn but when I pull in the clutch the vibration goes away. It might have something to do with being under load but I'm not sure. I readjusted my motor mounts last weekend and I think it helped or at least the vibration isn't as abrasive. I just ordered a new chain and sprockets kit yesterday so that's on my list as soon as it arrives. I'm more worried about the oil. Thanks again FZ1rider.

my bike is a 2003 and I have the exact symptoms as you descript ! I lost like 700$ to find it and still have this TROUBLE!

I checked the valves :OK

compression test:OK

carbs removed and fully cleaned:OK

good syncronizz:OK

ajusted mixture screws:OK

even changed my front bushing and its dosent made any difference

I suspect a bad crankshaft bushing or something like the motor base creating a lot of vibration do you guys know if we can recalibrate the crankshaft without removing the engine !?

my trouble happen after 1 week of perfect riding when I leave the bike in my garage for one week and taking it for a ride :( this happen personally iM thinking of selling the bike since its barely undrivable at cruise speed

:(

the vibrations are that high that my hid lights came out of the socket and started to burn the rubber where the lights are and my side fairing start to crack at some places because of this SHITTY VIBRATION :tdown: :wtf::shame::shame::shame:

Back