oil thrue sight glass while engine running HELP!

Hey guys..I'm new on the forum ..been reading every time i had a problem with my bike, but now i didn't find anyone bringing this up..I have the bike since 2013, it's a 2009 model with 10k miles on the clock(now it's got 13500 miles).About a week ago i've noticed for the first time after a 200 mile ride when i've got of the bike with the engine hot, running and on the centerstand, that i can see the oil level in the engine sight glass right about where the minimum indicator is..That leed me into thinking that the oil pump does not pump all the oil into the engine, and just a small amount while engine is hot, running at idle and on the centerstand..because i live in fucking romania i dont have a qualified yamaha mechanic or workshop to be exact, and just went to my local motorcycle mechanic that told me that these r1 2004-2008 engines are renowned to have week oil pumps and as the oil gets hotter it gets really thin and the oil pump does not pump it fast enough..the oil i've always used is 10w40 motul 300v that he said it's very thin for this engine that gets very hot, and this oil is more for the race track..his recommendation was in the first instance to change the oil to a 10w60(wich he said he used in all of his bikes) in the ideea that it will be easier to evacuate by the pump when the engine gets hot and the oil won't get as thin as this one..I have no ideea if what he says makes sense cause i am thinking that the oil pump will have to work harder with this heavier oil..

PLEASE!! I am asking u guys for some help(i don't know anybody here with this kind of motorcycle, and guessing there are very few in romania)..put you're bikes on the centerstand and warm them up to 210-220 when the fans kick in, and watch the oil thrue the engine sight glass..tell me if the oil level rises to the minimum mark when it gets at 210-220(or after 10 min of running when it's very hot)..I wanna know if this is a thing that this engine does or is it a problem with mine..thank you

I use 10w40 motul 7100 in Australia ,gets hot here but I would not use 10w60 in this motor, I only ever look at the oil level when motor is stopped for 3 or 4 minutes, I think you worry to much, I believe the pump would not be working at full rate at idle

I use 10w40 motul 7100 in Australia ,gets hot here but I would not use 10w60 in this motor, I only ever look at the oil level when motor is stopped for 3 or 4 minutes, I think you worry to much, I believe the pump would not be working at full rate at idle

Could you please try to look at the engine oil thrue the sight glass when the engine is hot? whenever you have the time...when i start the cold engine the pump pushes all the oil in the motor, and as it gets really hot the oil starts pooring down in the oil pan till it almost hits the minimum mark..hope this is just the way this engine runs..

Could you please try to look at the engine oil thrue the sight glass when the engine is hot? whenever you have the time...when i start the cold engine the pump pushes all the oil in the motor, and as it gets really hot the oil starts pooring down in the oil pan till it almost hits the minimum mark..hope this is just the way this engine runs..

you're running the wrong oil. don't listen to what racers do to all their bikes. listen to manufacturer recommendations.

You are overthinking this issue. Use a JASO MA rated oil of the proper viscosity that Yamaha recommends, and stop listening to local 'experts'. It doesn't matter what the oil level shows while the bike is running, the proper way is to shut the engine off and check the level with the bike on the centerstand. As long as it is between the two lines you are fine.

Had to change oil on mine 2008 FZ1 this morning, so took it for a quick run to warm up oil before dropping the plug, it was showing approx 90c on temp gauge, on the centre stand the oil was a little above the min line in the oil glass while idling. So stop worrying! the oil anyway I believe would be only running back into the sump and nothing to do with the pump. when the motor is cold most of the oil would be in the sump.

10w40 Motul 300V is a full racing oil, but some riders love it, I use the 7100 10w40 Motul as it not a full race oil but is still 100% syn and contains ester also meeting the JASO MA2 specs, the V300 may also meet these specs but I am not sure.

Had to change oil on mine 2008 FZ1 this morning, so took it for a quick run to warm up oil before dropping the plug, it was showing approx 90c on temp gauge, on the centre stand the oil was a little above the min line in the oil glass while idling. So stop worrying! the oil anyway I believe would be only running back into the sump and nothing to do with the pump. when the motor is cold most of the oil would be in the sump.

Thank you for you're time...really appreciated..I'm gonna do an oil pressure test just to be 100% sure and sleep well again:))..if you're bike does the same then it must be the way the engine operates..didn't realize this is full on rece oil..in the manual it says 10w40/20w50 yamalube...i only ride when it's hot so do u guys think motorex power synt 10w50 is a good bet?

Don`t know how hot it get`s where you are, but some people in Aussie use 10w40 in winter and 10w50 in summer depends what part of Aussie you live, not much of the motorex products here, but I believe they have a good name,I am very happy with Motul 7100, no oil use between changes and can still see a slight red colour [ oil is red when new] and feels slippery between finger up to 10,000klms, make sure you use a good quality oil filter.

10w40 all year round for me & I'm in Oz. Once the oil heats up it's thinner and will drain to the sump more/quicker than when cold - completely normal. As long as it is between the min and max lines when cold and upright you're OK.

On the opposite note - I fill mine all the way to the top so that when I start it when it's cold and all the oil is flung up to the top of the engine, the oil light doesn't come on when I turn a corner and the oil drains to one side of the bike. The oil light on this bike is a oil level light, not an oil pressure light, so when the oil level drops too low the light comes on, not when the pressure drops too low.

Thank you for you're time...really appreciated..I'm gonna do an oil pressure test just to be 100% sure and sleep well again:))..if you're bike does the same then it must be the way the engine operates..didn't realize this is full on rece oil..in the manual it says 10w40/20w50 yamalube...i only ride when it's hot so do u guys think motorex power synt 10w50 is a good bet?

in the manual it says 10w40/20w50 yamalube...i only ride when it's hot so do u guys think motorex power synt 10w50 is a good bet?

you answered your own question before asking it. if you're looking for someone to tell you what you wanna hear, here it is, sure, go with 10w50.

Unless you are actually going to race, avoid racing oils, plugs, ect... racing = maximum performance, not long-term durability
The manual says 10w40/20w50 ... ride more, worry less ;)

Remember the oil pressure will drop considerably at idle when the engine is hot . For your piece of mind I have started mine and monitored the sight glass from cold .all the oil dissappeared from view until the revs dropped as the cold start came off . Then the oil slowly ran back to just under the minimum mark and this happened only after a few minutes .if you pick the revs up the glass empties again .
I have 45k on mine now and this would seem perfectly normal as the pump will not be able to move 4ltrs of oil around the engine at idle .. I hope this is of some peace of mind for you ...

Back