oil weight!

gunna do my 1st oil change on fz! i bought the bike used and i asked the previous owner what oil weight he used, he didnt know! i thinking of castrol 20/50? that what used on most of my bikes! any pro or cons? this is my 1st sport bike!

I thinking of castrol 20/50? that what used on most of my bikes! any pro or cons? this is my 1st sport bike!

20w50 might actually be a good choice since you live in the crazy-hot Mojave desert. Those of us who live in less extreme climates would be better off with a 10w40. I use 5w40 because I live in a place that can get cold and the 5w really helps with cold starting when it's under 32F

Seriously?
Well, I don't think Yamaha is in the oil business but they have done some research together with big companies like Shell, BP, Castrol or someone like these to get branded oil.

Last edited:
Yep, Rotella here too! I just paid $38 bucks for full Synthetic Rotella, K&N oil filter and a Progrip tank protector thing that included shipping to Hawaii!

Last edited:
Shell Rotella 15-40, or a good brand 15-40 heavy duty works best for me. Shifting is smoother. Have used 20-50, but shifting gets heavy is cool/colder weather here in Western NY.

Back