On the hunt for a cheap collector bike!

Dustin

I've got the itch for another bike! I'm on the hunt for something 25 years old so I can put collector plates on. So far, I have found two potentials: '84 GS1150E and an '83 RZ350

Opinions?

I just sold my 82 gs650 last summer.
pioneer4wheelers005-1.jpg

In truth, I've always wanted a two-stroke. This one has been parked since '99 and the guy has barely ridden it. It's flat black but looks decent otherwise in photos

I've got an '84 RZ350 that's been babied all its life - my last job as a mechanic was selecting and pulling the crate out of the warehouse and servicing it for delivery. No one has ever ridden it but me and its never been wet. I stopped riding it several years ago due to it's intolerance for what sells for gas these days. Nothing I tried prevented carbs from fouling (changed to nylon main jets, but pilots jets are non-removeable type) and I tried several types of additives. Its always the pilot jets reacting and plugging due to the gas sold here, our boutique formulation we are forced to buy.

My biggest prob and disappointment with it now looking to put it back on the road is the instrumentation - the needles don't move anymore, something that started as an intermittent prob when I was still riding it, I would have to ride a few miles and then the needles would 'come back'. They didn't the last time I rode it and it was for long enough that they should have been back.

I don't know if this is a widespread prob or not, but if one you're looking at is not running, you may have to deal with the same issue. I don't know whether the gauges are still available or not, but they'd be expensive if they were.

They were plentiful, Slowly and surely they are disappearing. Just like the 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda 340 with a 727 Slapstik I once owned, Why oh why did I ever get rid of it?

Go the RZ 350, you wont be disappointed, I still have my RZ and she is a great bike to work on, parts are easy to find and the 2 stroke engine is heaps of fun :wilynily:

My Older Stable

In addition to my FZ1 & Dr 650 Suzuki, I have several Yamaha XS650s. Lots of parts/options available for them. Also have an '86 Radian & an XS750 triple that will be a cafe racer by Spring.

I vote for the RZ350 as well. I am looking to pick one up myself. I know they were imported into Canada longer than here in the US so prices there are still reasonable for them. Here a nice one is going to set you back at least $4-4.5k.

How 'bout a very nice, 12000-mile 1972 Norton Commando Combat? My riding buddy has one he wouldn't mind selling. If you are at all intersted I could probably send you pics and specifics.

Back