One more on the overfill issue

Two Wheels

As you can tell I'm a newbie mechanic. I decided to go the oil drain route, unplugged the drain, let some oil come out but as I was trying to screw the drain plug back in it really wouldnt go easy. It was so weird. Just wouldnt. I tried and tried and tried. So I finally got it tighten, not too much, in fact a little less than it was from shop to ensure I didnt strip or crack anything but I noticed a light metal shaving on my finger when I was done, no doubt from the inside of the drain plug !!:mad:

Now, I'm wondering did I strip tje entire inside. It tightened fine and I did not overtighten it and it wasnt "spinning per se" but I could not for the life of me screw that drain bolt back in by hand. It would not catch. I mean I tried for an hour.

So, we'll see what happens tomorrow. Depressed now. Worse case scenario, re-thread the drain plug ? What would that entail. I mean the srew ended up going back in fine but I had to use a socket (lightly) and it tighten fine, no leakage thus far.

Krap. Happen to anybody else ?

krap

Were you trying to thread it by hand to start or using a tool? (One thing that stuck with me from my dad when dealing with drain plugs was to start by hand before using a tool.....)

BroHay

No definately went by hand. Then finally went with tool. Personally, I think I stripped it because it wasn't like by hand it was "easy". But then again on the way out it seemed I had to use a wrench almost all the way down.

Needless to say, still no leak. If it was stripped, would there have been oil leaking by now ? I can't tell. I've always done that as well. By hand, after an hour literarly those threads just would not catch.

If it was stripped would it be leaking by now ... ?

Any time you find a metal shaving, like a part of a thread on a bolt that has been removed, it's not a good thing. Generally, it's a sign that the bolt was over tightened or cross-threaded. Bro Hay is correct about starting bolts, especially the oil drain bolt, but another one is spark plugs. Whenever putting a steel bolt in an aluminum threaded hole it's easy to get it going in crossed if you use a tool instead of your hand. By the time you realize something isn't right you're already in trouble. If you only got one small sliver of metal your problem may not be that severe but I'd get an inspection mirror or steal one of my wife's make-up mirrors, drain the oil and check out the hole and threads. If, in fact, it's badly damaged, you'll have to drill it out, put in a helicoil, and that will take care of it. If you're not sure how to do it, take it somewhere. It shouldn't cost a lot because it's a relatively simple job when you know what you are doing. Check out the following link

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Thanks Lonerider. Personaly I do not think I overtightened ... in fact I did not.

But from the get go almost all the way down (from factory) it was not easy to unscrew by hand. However, metal bolt, aluminum thread ... pretty sure I cross "threaded it". That being said, and having fresh oil in there now, new oil filter, etc can I ride normal, checking my garage floor so to speak and then take the matter up at next change? Still no leak ... No oil on the ground.

What type / size of helicoil should I buy ? It didn't really say on site.

Thanks ! krap ... I've a mechanic idiot, but never did this before.

If it's not leaking, I'd leave it alone until you need to do an oil change. Then, after it's drained check out the threads. Most decent auto stores like Advance, Autozone, etc. should carry helicoils. The best thing to do is get a new drain bolt, take it with you to the store so there is no question about the size. They will be able to get you the proper dril, new tap, and helicoil. In the process, you have to dril it out, retap it with a larger tap so that after the helicoil is in place, the stock size bolt will go in. This process requires that wen it's drilled, the new hole is straight and when the tap is used, the new threads are also straight. Then the helicoil will also be straight and all will be fine when you are done. If, in fact, this needs to be done, if you don't feel comfortable doing it take it somewhere because there is no use doing it wrong and having to start all over.

Awesome. Thanks so much. We all know how that feels (well maybe not all ... but I do), new bike, love it...then OHHHH NOOO ... I did something wrong ! But the fix is logical, seems cost effective, most importantly works and appreciate it.

Rock on FZ1's !

Two wheels, don't feel bad I always do something to my bikes that I wish I didn't do. It usually happens to em when their new also. Don't worry to much I'm sure everybody messes something up sooner than later. It usually amounts to no big deal.

ok heres my two cents. if you had to wrench it all the way out.. it sounds like the person before you crossed threaded it. but if it handles fine after a few rides. no biggy. start looking in advnance for the fix before you next oil change is on ya.. that way it doesn't hender you when you try to change your oil the night before a fun ride. even in the worse case scenario you'll still be fine.

Back