Open Street Maps

Here is a site that I just came across. Far more detailed than most and a free down load. This is for those that have started to embrace the GPS age, like me, and like to plan routes. From my own experience this software is not perfect, but MUCH better than the basic global map that comes with Garmin;"Basecamp". It shows so much more detail and includes hiking trails, old rail beds, etc.

It should be a valuable resource for those that like to plan long trips, or even find backroads near home.

OpenStreetMap

It can be imported by sections into Garmin Basecamp.

Here is an article that an inmate on ADV wrote to help with that process;

Open Street Maps (OSM) How To:

"OpenStreetMap (OSM) is a collaborative project to create a free editable map of the world. Two major driving forces behind the establishment and growth of OSM have been restrictions on use or availability of map information across much of the world and the advent of inexpensive portable Satellite navigation device. The maps are created using data from portable SAT NAV devices, aerial photography, other free sources or simply from local knowledge.

For the adventure traveller, OSM not only provides the best quality digital nav maps for much of the non developed world, the maps are also free. For the financially challenged traveller, OSM maps can just as easily be used in lieu of Garmin maps in Europe and North America. The OSM map database is easy to convert into a format for both Garmin sat nav units and for Garmin basecamp / mapsource / road trip software on personal computers and laptops.

To get an idea of the detail available on OSM, it worth looking at OpenStreetMap and zooming in on areas and cities of interest.

To get maps that are in a format for use on your Garmin sat nav and Garmin software, you first need to go to a site that can compile the maps for you - such as Free worldwide routable Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

On that site you will find a map of the world broken up into grid squares. To build a map I recommend you do the following:

(1) click the small box near the top of the page that will "enable manual tile selection"

(2) begin clicking on the tiles you want to build up a map. There is a limit to how large you can build your maps in terms of how many grid squares you are allowed to select. I have in the past selected sufficient squares to do all of Africa, South and Central America and Northern Asia all on one map. Use the zoom buttons and arrows on the map to move around and make sure you have chosen all the small squares around more populated areas that you can see when zoomed out too far.

(3) When the tiles you need for your journey or for one section of your RTW trip have been selected, enter your email on the left of the page in the box marked "email address". Further details about your map request will be emailed to you.

(4) Immediately on entering your email you will be sent an email telling you your request has been received and you can expect further emails. A second email will arrive a few minutes later with tracking details of your request, where you are in the map building queue and a rough estimate of how long it will take before the computer moves onto your map request.

(5) Eventually you will get a 3rd email ... this email will tell you that your map has been built according to the squares you selected, and will provide you with 5 links. There are only two likely to be on interest to you, one will be the map itself, and one will be if you use MapSource or RoadTrip software. If you use BaseCamp or dont need the map on your computer, then all you need to download is the map itself.

The map for your garmin sat nav will be the link containing the IMG format file, which will be zipped. Download it. Note where you are downloading it to so you can find it once it is downloaded.

The link for the software file for mapsource or roadtrip are also clearly labelled in the email. Again, download the appropriate file.

Note, you only have 48 hours to download the files related to the map you have built. After that the links are dead and you will need to begin again.

6) Install the software for mapsource by double clicking on it. The next time you open Mapsource the openstreetmap will be selectable on the drop down map selection box at the top of the page.

7) Prepare a SD or micro SD card for your map ... you will load the map onto the memory card, and then insert the memory card in to your sat nav. Firstly on the blank memory card create a directory (folder) and name it "Garmin". Second unzip the file directly into that Garmin directory. The card is then good to go ... place it in your sat nav and select the map to use it."

Not complicated at all.....:deal:

Helpful link with more instructions: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin.OpenStreetMap.nl:Manual#Using_country_pre-selections

More Tips on the Process:

“I have an 8g Class 4 micro SD card installed in my 62s. I use it as an USB drive storing all my gps projects and OSM maps there. This allows me to install Garmin Basecamp on two desktops and a netbook and move between them. Basecamp's 'Backup & Restore' function makes this possible.

I created a Folder on the SD card called 'My OSM Maps' and sub folders named to mirror the continent names in OSM. That's were I store the OSM downloaded *.img files when I don't need them.

Assuming you have a Garmin Montana - this procedure only works if you have that model of gps.

If you already have downloaded the image (gmapsupp.img) from OSM
1. -Create a folder on the micro SD card called Garmin
2. -Place the image inside that folder
3. -Put micro SD card in the Montana
4. -Start Basecamp
5. -Connect your Montana to your pc and wait a bit

Your PC will first recognize your Montana connected via USB port
then Basecamp will 'hear' the Montana and the map will become visible being imported - look at the green progress line on left hand side in Basecamp.

Tip: you can rename the gmapsupp file to the name of the country/ies the .img is made up of- This new name will be visible on the Montana to help select/deselect but it reverts to OSM “worldmap” in Basecamp.

Whatever you rename the gmapsupp image, do not rename the extension! The .img is for the benefit of the electronics not for the nut who connects the saddle to the handlebars!!

When you download maps from OSM, you can download a zipped image file that when unzipped can be placed on the gps's Sd card. Or you can download an executable file (.exc) that will install the maps on your computer. BaseCamp can see maps that are installed on the PC and the gps.

Maps installed on the PC can be sent to the gps via 'MapInstall' by selecting a map region. 'MapInstall' is included with BaseCamp.

Last edited:
Basecamp

Thanks for this; Basecamp is a real piece of crap

Basecamp itself works well, but the very basic map that comes with the free download is very basic and very inaccurate. Garmin is happy to sell you maps, such as the Topo maps of Canada, U.S., etc. For what I do the detail of Open Street Maps is mostly sufficient. If you hike or dirt bike a topographical map is the way to go. It is nice even for dual-sport, or street planning as it shows so much detail, and still shows the roads. Using a topo' map in your GPS unit can make for too busy a screen when you are road riding and having to watch surrounding traffic. It costs a fair amount to buy these add-on maps, especially if they are not ideal for your needs. That is what makes a free source like OSM so appealing.

I use Basecamp to edit tracks that I rode, or that I downloaded from other riders. It comes in handy when erasing sections that were off-course (wrong turns, dead ends) and for connecting sections of tracks. Editing Waypoints, and many other fine tuning features when preparing a track or route for a trip. I personally only use "tracks" rather than using the "routing" feature that tells you when to turn next. Setting Waypoints at important turns, or just simply paying attention to your on screen track works well enough, without having a voice in your ear. That is another important feature of Basecamp in it's ability to make a track any color that you like so that it shows up well on your GPS screen.

I will be downloading the North American sections of OSM and loading the image file (img) this weekend. I will post some screen shots once it is working.

I went from a paper map guy to embracing the tech age in a short period of time, and it took a lot of convincing. I still take paper maps and have a really good idea of my route when I travel. I have always been blessed with great navigational skills when travelling but enjoy the way a GPS can show you options that you would have otherwise driven past oblivious to their existence. I don't believe you should totally rely on your tech, but rather, use it as a enhancement of your own brain.

Here is a useful Link: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

Another Link: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Last edited:
Thanks. The site is hard to understand. If you get it to work correctly, please post instructions on how to download and the upload to Garmin.

More to come

Thanks. The site is hard to understand. If you get it to work correctly, please post instructions on how to download and the upload to Garmin.

I will and will add screen shots to this thread in order to make the process as helpful as possible to anyone interested in using this. I will also take notes as I work my way through the process. If I can do it anyone should be able to.

As it stands it is a really nice site to zoom in on cities to see the level of detail available. I like it more than the Google maps except when Google is in "terrain" mode.

OSM (at least for Calgary) is more up to date for all the new developments that are springing up around the city.

Link: http://showmedo.com/videotutorials/video?name=1800000&fromSeriesID=180

Link: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ This is where you can select the sections that you want to download. It should have been in the original instructions.

Last edited:
Step by Step

OK so we are getting started.
First I clicked on this link: Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

This is what you will see,
osmsnip1.jpg

This is what I wanted,
osmsnip2.jpg

Too much for 1 apparently. So I took 1/2 for the first map.

osmsnip4.jpg

Then I received this pop up.

osmsnip3.jpg

And this email,

Osmsnip5.jpg

Please note the time limit, and check back regularly

The second email lets you know the files are ready to download.

OSMsnip7.jpg

Once the files that you select are downloaded, they will automatically load into Basecamp. Be sure to click the link for your type of software (windows, Mac, etc.) and only the ones you need. I downloaded both the windows exc. file and the img. file for an SD card.

I have to say the downloadable version vs. the website version is very different on screen in Basecamp. The standard "Global maps" that are included are terrible for lack of detail. The "City Navigator maps" which I had to purchase for the Garmin Montana are slightly better and more up to date, especially when zooming in. The "OSM Maps" are terrible at anything other than close zoom. They are however by far the best when zoomed in (in Basecamp) compared to the other two. They are also the most up to date of the 3.

Here is a comparison of an area north of Calgary that I know well on backroads for detail comparison when zoomed in. Note the map names listed at the top.

OSMsnip10.jpg

This is the map included in Basecamp, not how inaccurate the map is compared to my actual track

OSMsnip9.jpg

This is the City Navigator map from Garmin that I purchased. The accuracy is somewhat better but the detail is very lacking

OSMsnip8.jpg

OSM map is the last one. The detail is almost spot on with only a few minor omissions of gravel roads.

Open street maps was definitely worth downloading, especially if you are currently using Basecamp's, (included) Global Map. For the zoomed in view needed to check tracks for accuracy it is worlds better. There are still better more user friendly resources available but they all cost money. Open Street Maps will cost you only time.

Last edited:
Another alternative to openstreetmap is Velomap.

VeloMap.org -Roadbike ? Bicycle ? Maps based on Openstreetmap « Map Download ? New Maps

Its free like OSM and I found it had more detail for my Indian trip I did this year.

*Also, there is a forum I use to get ALL the latest Garmin maps I need for free but you will need to be familiar with downloading and what software is in your Garmin. Not for novices but if you pm me, I will send you a link to the right place. (please delete if Im breaking any of this forums rules!)

Last edited:
Back