Oz FZ1 owners..............Which oil?

Gday,
Just looking for a bit of advice, my GenII is about due for a change of fat and I was just curious to know which oils Aussie FZ1 owners run and swear by.
The is plenty of info here on the forum, but it mostly seems to be from our US counterparts.
Also, can anyone recommend an on-line store where I can buy bits and pieces like filters and brake pads and save myself a few chips in the process. The local bike stores around me are a bit nortorious for milking their parts for more than their worth.
Thanks heaps,
BD

i was running the Shell Tellus 5W40 syn from a guy here in OZ on ebay, I have since had confirmation that Shell helix Utra is as close or better and available at many Auto shops and BigW etc and have run this now for 12 mths. They also make a Shell Ultra 10W60 racing that a mate uses in his speedway sidecar. We have had no problems running this, both motors have dropped a few deg when running hard and it can be had cheap if you hunt around as well as being full syn.

For a while, I have been using Caltex/Havoline Delo400 Diesel Oil in all my bikes. It isn't paticularly cheap, 'cause you can mostly only buy it from Caltex Petrol Stations - usually about $50 for 5L...

You can't use most normal car engine oils, because the friction modifiers don't allow the wet clutch to work properly...

Cheers,
Darryl

I'm using Mobil 1 4T 10W-40, the best oil for your engine and gearbox.
You can get it here GL Lubricants.com cheaper than any retail rip-off chain. Nick from GL Lubricants operates his buisness out of sydney and directly imports Mobil, Shell, Redline and some K&N car products to sell direct to the public.

I too started with the Delo 400, great oil and run in my KTM and KXF, change out every hard ride though and it cost me $35 for 5L. Speak to your local dealer and talk them down, wholesale cost is just over $23 for them! I switched the FZ out to Tellus T6 from the same guy as above, good service good oil but with freight cost $60 for just under 4L. Have bombarded shell Aust through work and Shell USA and eventually they got sick of me and let me know that Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is our equivalent and can be had for $55 if you check the junk mail. I am impressed with this oil, shifting is slick temps are low and for a FULL synthetic good value for $$ As summer temps out here get to 45-50 deg Celsius all my bikes now have this as their oil diet and has improved shifting and temps on all, and IMO is better shifting than T6, Mobil and Castrol synthetics and I have tried them all.

I have forgot what I posted before but can't you guys get Castrol 20w50, or Shell Rotella T? This is all the oil you need for your bike change every 3000 miles. Also, I've analyzed many times and Rotella will work better than Delo.

Why to 20W50? It's a bit thick at start up.
The reason for going 5W40 is that the oil will flow easily to the top of the engine when needed most, at start up when cold.

Today was 21 degrees celcius

If you get down to zero Farenheidt, etc. I would run a 15w40 Shell RotellaT.

I personally believe synthetic is a waste of money. Change a bike oil every 3000 miles religiously and it will last you perfectly for many years.

A dyno based oil is a formula that lubricity is developed by the base stocks in the viscosity range. A 5w30 starts with blending a 5 weight oil with other stuff that thickens it to a 30 weight at temp. Viscosity improvers are not lubricants.

Think about this: As your engine cools, the faster the oil starts to thicken improves retention in the cylinders which in turn will leave more for start up lubrication. If your engine wasn't lubricated during start up -- it wouldn't last a moment. Plus there is no special load the engine is dealing with at start up. So, it becomes a topic that is great to talk about if you're an oil company but almost ridiculous in real life.

Oleon Oils bloke, beeen using it for years, Dynoverks use it.
Motologic use it.
Ive used it, in my courier vans, private vans, and all me road bikes over the last 6, 7 years. When the bike goes in for a dealer service it gets home and the yammie lube is dumped for fresh Olean Oil, aussie company based in Wadhurst drive Boronia in Melb, and damn nice people to deal with. CEO is a rider so is the wharehouse manager.

Motul 5100 15w50. Change oil and filter every 5,000 km. Most oils are up to the task, the most important thing is to keep it clean. I know riders who change every 2,000 km, but it may take them a few months to do that distance. I do 5,000 km in about 12 weeks mainly commuting on a freeway.

Back